1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Al Sharpton: Paid FBI Informant

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The report published Monday claims that Mr. Sharpton regularly interacted with members of four of New York City’s five organized crime families, specifically leaders of the Genovese family, and he secretly recorded their conversations.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/apr/7/rev-al-sharpton-former-paid-fbi-informant-report/#ixzz2yEpbmpnw
    Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

The Rev better have someone else start his car

2. Boom_70

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Not a ton to say about Sharpton, but I lived around the block from Vincent Gigante in the early 90s, when he was free, but under indictment. I used to see him walking around in his bathrobe talking to himself (he was setting the stage for an attempted insanity plea).

His home was an old, walk-up tenement on McDougal Street. He was not living large. He was old school mob -- you don't flash your cash. The whole thing was just bizarre. He'd pace up and down the street in a ratty bathrobe, mumbling to himself.

I never saw the Reverend Al, but he was too busy stirring up shit in Harlem -- Freddie's Fashion Mart was the big one I remember after Tawana Brawley. He has an amazing ability to slither out of his past BS.

4. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Never much cared for him, or Jesse Jackson.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Sniches are bitches who need stitches

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Snitch We Much.

7. I can't stand Sharpton. He's every bit as bad as Jesse Jackson, maybe worse.
    But why smear the guy for working for the FBI? I don't get it. I thought it was good to work for the feds to root out organized crime?

8. Boom_70

That's the way he is spinning it. I guess the question is why. Seems
    rare that "concerned" citizens come forward to put their life on the
    line for The FBI unless they are looking for some sort of deal.

Guess we'll find out now that The NY Post is on it. Dream story for
    them. Meanwhile it's great publicity for Sharpton and MSNBC.

Would not surprise me in the least that he arranged for release of
    story.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The stuff I read in the last few days suggested that Sharpton was trying to be a player in the sports promotion business. The FBI got him on tape with an FBI agent posing as a drug dealer seeking to promote boxing matches. It read like they had Sharpton on tape with the undercover agent agreeing to facilitate drug deals with a Genovese mob acquaintance. They played him the tapes and threatened him with a conspiracy charge. ... and he flipped and wore a wire for them.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

You just knew that was coming.

Rev. Al didn't "snitch" unless properly motivated. So, he avoided charges, and got "walking around money".

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Rev. Al is still not telling the truth, and thesmokinggun is not pleased, or going away.

With Al's lies, does this become a bigger story?

12. Boom_70

Between Jay Z and Al they could really hook up their pal in DC.

Draft saved Draft deleted