1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AL ROY

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Sep 16, 2011.

?

Who should be the AL ROY?

1. Mark Trumbo Angels 1st Base

8 vote(s)
    24.2%
  2. Eric Hosmer Royals 1st Base

7 vote(s)
    21.2%
  3. Jeremy Hellickson Rays SP

8 vote(s)
    24.2%
  4. Michael Pineda Mariners SP

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Ivan Nova Yankees SP

8 vote(s)
    24.2%
  6. Jordan Walden Angels RP

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Mini Ditka

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  1. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I'm thinking Hellickson, the more I mull it over. You can say Hosmer did it with less pressure (on a bad team) and Trumbo had bad rate stats and slumped late. Hellickson was good all year, for a good team, against other good teams (good numbers vs. NYY and BOS). Without looking it up, I'd also bet he rates higher among all SPs than Trumbo or Hosmer do among all 1Bs.

Now, if he really craps on himself tomorrow...

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It's clear the Yankee fanboy vote is out in full force. I could see picking Hosmer over Hellickson, but no way in hell should Nova get it.

Nova has a better record because he has the Yankees' offense behind him. That is the only reason.

Hellickson has a much lower ERA (2.90 to 3.70), more strikeouts (116 to 98) and he has pitched more (183 IP to 165). It's not even close.

4. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Agreed, and Nova doesn't hold the "he's in a playoff race" argument now, for whatever that's worth. Then again, if Hellickson craps the bed tomorrow, that'll be held against him, even though Nova gave up four runs Sunday against the Sox in 4.1 innings, his only start against them. (For what it's worth though, he held the Rays to one run in 13 innings.)

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That last bit doesn't matter. In fact, it points out another reason to favor Hellickson. He faced the Red Sox, who lead the AL in runs scored, four times (2-1, 3.38 ERA). Nova faced them twice, compiling a 6.75 ERA.

Obviously, Nova didn't have to face the Yankees' offense, which is second in the AL in runs scored. Hellickson faced them three times (1-1, 3.93 ERA)

The Red Sox lead the American League in runs scored. The Yankees are second.

Nova instead got to pitch twice against the Rays, who are ninth in the AL in runs scored.

Even more reason that Hellickson was clearly the better pitcher this season and it isn't even close.

6. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Players vote for Trumbo

http://aol.sportingnews.com/mlb/feed/2011-09/mlb-awards/story/sporting-news-2011-mlb-awards-al-and-nl-rookies-of-the-year

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I wish Desmond Jennings had duplicated his August numbers in September instead of falling off, so we'd have to test our definitions of "Rookie of the Year." For now, I feel best about Hellickson.

Draft saved Draft deleted