1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AL ROY

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Sep 16, 2011.

?

Who should be the AL ROY?

1. Mark Trumbo Angels 1st Base

8 vote(s)
    24.2%
  2. Eric Hosmer Royals 1st Base

7 vote(s)
    21.2%
  3. Jeremy Hellickson Rays SP

8 vote(s)
    24.2%
  4. Michael Pineda Mariners SP

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Ivan Nova Yankees SP

8 vote(s)
    24.2%
  6. Jordan Walden Angels RP

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Mini Ditka

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  1. For the record - I didn't include Lawrie because he just has 136 AB. Same for Dustin Ackley of Seattle who has just 291 AB.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I have to disagree with you there. This is about who was the best rookie this year, not who will be the best player.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Oh, I agree with leaving them off. Neither played enough to win it, at least not in a year with so many solid candidates. I just think he'd be right there for the award if he hadn't gotten hurt right as the Blue Jays were going to call him up.

That said, over the last month, Hosmer has been as good as any hitter in the AL, rookie or otherwise.

4. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Yes, this isn't a "top prospect" award. It's who had a better 2011. Period.

5. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

A very biased vote for Hosmer here. The kid showed none of the adjustment problems Moustakas has worked through, and he's a fucking wizard at first base. Plus, Hosmer's shown he has a little bit of clutch in him.

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

7. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Eric Hosmer just went 5-for-5 with a 3-run homer.

.300 average, 18 HR, 75 RBI, 11 SB

He should get strong consideration. He didn't get called up until mid-May, either.

8. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Trumbo on a three-game homer streak. 4 RBIs today with a 3-run shot. Hitting .258 with 29 homers and 87 RBIs.

9. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Any last-minute thoughts here?

I think you can make a case for Trumbo, Hellickson or Hosmer, with Nova in the mix too.

10. deviljets7

deviljets7 Member

Personally I'd go with Hellickson

11. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Hosmer or Hellickson. Too close to call.

12. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I'd go Hellickson then Hosmer, but I'd be fine if they flipped as well. I think the Angels sputtering and falling out of the race last night probably kills the drive for Trumbo.

Draft saved Draft deleted