1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AL ROY

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Sep 16, 2011.

?

Who should be the AL ROY?

1. Mark Trumbo Angels 1st Base

8 vote(s)
    24.2%
  2. Eric Hosmer Royals 1st Base

7 vote(s)
    21.2%
  3. Jeremy Hellickson Rays SP

8 vote(s)
    24.2%
  4. Michael Pineda Mariners SP

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Ivan Nova Yankees SP

8 vote(s)
    24.2%
  6. Jordan Walden Angels RP

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Mini Ditka

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  1. Month ago I would have said it was Pineda hands down but this seems to have gotten pretty interesting.

Who do you think gets the vote? I think Hellickson may be in the lead but any of the candidates have a strong story to tell.

2. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I'd go with Trumbo or Hosmer, although mini-Ditka makes a real strong case.

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/16215/jeremy-hellickson-rises-to-the-challenge

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'd go with Hellickson. That is damn impressive for a rookie pitcher. He is easily the best of the rookie pitchers. Nova is a distant fourth.

I can see the argument for Hosmer or Trumbo, though if you have a need to go with a position player. I'd probably go with Hosmer just because Trumbo makes way too many outs (on-base percentage below .300).

If not for the broken hand, it would have been Lawrie. He has been fantastic since the Jays called him up.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Trumbo, but I'm biased.

But if the Angels somehow get into the playoffs, he'll get a lot more votes, I think.

7. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Hellickson, although I imagine Trumbo is going to win the award because of his "gaudy" home run numbers. Five years from now though, that'll be a "Todd Hollandsworth was RoY???" type of award though.

8. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I've got this one this year.

Probably Trumbo, Hosmer or Hellickson.

9. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Hosmer is hitting .290 with 17 HR, 71 RBI, 11 SB and 60 runs
    Trumbo is hitting .254 with 27 HR, 82 RBI, 9 SB and 62 runs

Hosmer has a .335 OBP and an OPS+ of 120.
    Trumbo has an atrocious OBP of .293 and an OPS+ of 114.

It's close, but I think Hosmer has had a better season.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Hellickson is doing this as a 24-year-old in the best division in baseball.

I heard an interview with him not long ago and he said he's throwing as many as 25 changeups a game, as a rookie, as a guy who can throw 94 mph gas.

11. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I've always thought that you should factor in future production, which I realize most of the electorate doesn't do. Trumbo is 25, whereas Hosmer is 21. Hosmer has also played in 20 fewer games, so if it was between those two, I'd definitely go with Hosmer.

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

In my biased opinion, Lawrie has been the best rook in the bigs since he came up.

Will also give a shout out to J.P. Arencibia, great power numbers and he hasn't hurt the team behind the plate.

Draft saved Draft deleted