1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AL Rookie of the Year?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Shaggy, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I didn't start a poll because I think there are too many candidates, but who would be your 1-2-3 for AL Rookie of the Year?

It's not easy, there are plenty of good rookies this year. Here's a rough list:

Evan Longoria, Tampa Bay
    Brad Ziegler, Oakland
    Joba Chamberlain, New York
    Jacoby Ellsbury, Boston
    Mike Aviles, Kansas City
    Armando Gallaraga, Detroit
    David Murphy, Texas
    Alexei Ramirez, Chicago

Fill out your ballot.

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Longoria - Murphy - Ellsbury

3. Gold

Gold Active Member

Is Chamberlain eligible for Rookie of the Year? I thought he might have pitched too many innings.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I think my ballot would be

1. Longoria
    2. Ellsbury
    3. Murphy

Mike Aviles and Brad Ziegler have a strong chance of playing their way into the top three, though.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Joba's a rookie. The 45 days only apply to days prior to roster expansion Sept. 1.

The Longoria injury makes things interesting. if he's back in two weeks, he'll win it. If he's out for a month...who knows? But the guy who would have profited most from the Longoria injury, Murphy, is hurt too.

I'd go Longoria--Ramirez--Ziegler, presuming that Murphy is out for most of a month. If Murphy gets back in a hurry, put him 2nd.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Pat Listach.

7. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

If Ziegler goes the entire season without allowing a run, say, 55 innings....does he warrant a first-place vote?

I don't think he will, but it's a hell of a hypothetical.

8. even if longoria is gone for the rest of the year, he's still gotta be no. 1. he's been a very key part of the rays' success.

9. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

Longoria, Aviles, Ziegler

10. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Longoria, Ellsbury, Murphy

11. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Longoria, Gallaraga, Murphy.

I think I remember something saying Aviles won't have enough AB to be eligible, otherwise he'd definitely be in consideration.

12. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Aviles will be eligible for ROY, he won't be eligible for the batting title.

Too bad, he's hitting .333.

Draft saved Draft deleted