1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Al-Qaida releases new tape

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chuck~Taylor, Jul 27, 2006.

1. lono

lono Active Member

DyePack:

One of my former interns has applied for a job as a correspondent with Al-Jazeera.

The ad he answered read, "Absolutely no phone calls or my ancestors will spit on your haircut."

Should he call anyway?

Best,

Quonfused about the Quoran

2. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Quon:

As in the case of Ishmael, one goes down the path one chooses.

Those who put "no calls" in their ads choose the path of mediocrity.

Praise be to Allah,

DyePack

3. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

Well, lets spin this question another way. Your news agency receives the next tape from Al-Qaida or from some right-wing extremists in the U.S. or whomever. What do you do? Do you turn it over to authorities immediately and hand over the messenger (if there is one), or do you make your own copy of the tape and either gain ratings/sell papers by getting the story out there first?

We've heard the outrage about some of the reporters in North America being jailed or subpeonaed to turn over their sources, and I'm just wondering would you be willing to do so if it meant not getting a story?

Similarly, whether pro terrorist, anti-terrorist, or indifferent, could you see Al-Jazeera giving up a source that is feeding them the dirt first hand? I'm not sure they do that.

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Since no one else has...I'll say it...who ever thought we'd be saying that? :D

5. DyePack

DyePack New Member

May your camel spit in your eye, apostate.

That reminds me -- I need to add a song ...

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

If a major network got ahold of one such tape, they'd play it up for ratings and dough. If a local shock DJ got it? He'd add farting sounds and a laugh track, along with some spiffy songs.

Uhm, I was going somewhere with this post .... :-\

7. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

An Al-Qaeda's review of Clerks 2:

"I laughed so hard, I shot the man next to me."

Draft saved Draft deleted