1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Al Oliver ... Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 3OctaveFart, Feb 28, 2012.

1. ralph russo

ralph russo Member

There is probably an interesting debate to be had about guys, such as Oliver, who disappeared way to quickly from the hall of fame ballot. Brian Kenny, or maybe it was Max Kellerman, made an interesting case for David Cone getting more consideration. I think Cone was off after one year and he was much closer to being a Hall of Famer than he was to being, say, Bob Welch, who was a very good big league pitcher.

I think Lou Whitaker fell off after the first vote. That seems unfair. Parrish, too. And I'm no Tigers fan.

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

BBWAA couldn't give his case a second look if it wanted to. He's off the writer's ballot. The veterans committee has him now, and he has zero chance there.

3. Gold

Gold Active Member

A friend of mine suggested that baseball have a Hall of Very Good, so players like Mattingly, Al Oliver and others could be recognized but not put in the HOF.

As good a player as Oliver was, I don't know that there were many seasons where he was unquestionably the best offensive player on a really good team. On the 1970s Pirate teams, Clemente ,Dave Parker, and Stargell were better offensive players.

4. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Still a difference. Mattingly (like Murphy, Belle etc.) was great.

5. Smasher_Sloan

Oliver absolutely doesn't belong, but I've never understood this line of thinking. Is Willie McCovey not a Hall of Famer because he wasn't as good as Willie Mays?

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Where did Perez rank among the Big Red Machine Teams? Eighth? Ninth?

7. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Geez, you can pretty much see Eaton Centre from there!

8. Gold

Gold Active Member

No doubt that McCovey belongs in the HOF - 521 home runs while playing the middle of his career in a pitchers' era. McCovey was viewed as one of the hitters who would be feared by pitchers - if not in the top 10, certainly among the top 15 or 20 for a long period. McCovey was a bigger fear factor during his time with Mays from 1968 to 1972.

I don't think Oliver was ever the most feared hitter, or even the second most feared hitter, during his time with the Pirates. He was a really good hitter.

Mattingly was great from 1983 or 84 to 1990, and the numbers he put up were at a Hall of Fame level - he was among the top offensive performers in the American League at the time. He was injured and never got over his back injuries.

The point I was trying to make is that you have to compare HOF candidates to their contemporaries. Gary Carter might not have seemed to compare to Johnny Bench, and I think this worked against him in his first couple of years on the ballot. By the time Carter was elected, there really were few catchers as good offensively and defensively.

9. Smasher_Sloan

"Feared hitter" is meaningless.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

Gold hits this one into the upper deck.

11. Gold

Gold Active Member

It means something to pitchers

12. Smasher_Sloan

Mark Whiten was a feared hitter.