1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Al Oliver ... Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 3OctaveFart, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Posada is borderline. I lovedTed Simmons but he's also borderline. If I had to pick, I'd chose Simmons.

2. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

None of those players are in Al Oliver's league.
    Stay on topic.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Ted Simmons is a good comparison to Al Oliver, because they played at the same time.

And Ted Simmons was every bit in Al Oliver's league.

Neither should be Hall of Famers in my opinion.

I could make a better case for Simmons, if someone was twisting my arms, because he had his best years as a catcher. Too many good outfielders and first basement trump Oliver.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

To paraphrase Liebling, 'he was as good as a ballplayer can be without being a hell of a ballplayer.'

5. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

Oliver's body of work is also sabermetric-friendly and passes muster where that is concerned.
    But they don't want to give his case a second look.
    It would require they admit to a mistake.
    The BBWAA is too proud a bunch for that.

6. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

If Simmons merits more consideration and Posada is borderline, did Lance Parrish get screwed by not getting more consideration, at least based on traditional measurements? 8-time All Star. 6 Silver Sluggers. Multiple GGs. Played on a dominant World Series winner. 324 career HRs spending his career almost entirely behind home plate. Career comps are most similar to Gary Carter (though I'd never say he was as good as Carter). Yet only got named on 1.5% of the ballots in his only year of eligibility.

Admittedly, I'm a Tiger shill and I don't really think Parrish is a Hall of Famer. Struck out a ton and didn't walk much. Not a great OBP guy (in a time when that wasn't really valued as much). But I still wonder why Parrish is never even in the discussion, especially when people talk about Posada as a HOF guy.

7. Who will speak up for Mike Greenwell?

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I wouldn't even begin to know how to judge a catcher's HOF credentials if he's not an obvious pick like Bench, Fisk, maybe I-Rod or Piazza depending on how much alleged steroid use is used against them.

I don't dispute that Carter should be in, but Carter made it in on the sixth ballot and Ted Simmons didn't even make the second ballot.

Which one of these made the Hall and which got 3.7 percent when on the ballot?

2472 hits, 248 HR, 1389 RBI, .285 avg, 3 top 10 MVP, eight all-star selections

2092 hits, 324 HR, 1225 RBI, .262 average, 10 all-star selections, 4 top 10 MVP.

I think Carter was the better fielder, and a better overall player, but not by that much...

9. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

Carter caught 150+ games five seasons.
    Unheard of today.
    It didn't shorten his career, but it limited his extended productivity.

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I once helped Lance Parrish and his family with directions when they were sightseeing in downtown Toronto during a Tigers visit.

11. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Lake. Ontario Place. CN Tower. Hotel. Swiss Chalet How hard could it have been?

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

They were standing outside the College St. subway station and wanted to know how to get to the Eaton Centre.

Draft saved Draft deleted