1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Al Oliver ... Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 3OctaveFart, Feb 28, 2012.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Why? We weren't talking about Craig Biggio, so I don't know. I just think these HOF arguments get parsed and picked apart to the point of ridiculousness. 500 doubles is a feat, not a HOF criteria (for the record, he's 34th all-time in doubles; Bobby Abreu has more). 3,000 hits often is a criteria, and Oliver falls almost 10 percent short of that (Vada Pinson has more). So there better be something else big on the table, and one ring and seven all-star games isn't it.

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Rizzuto was the Veterans Committee. Add Cone, Pettite, Wells to that soon. Hopefully not Posada, but the new defensive catcher metrics might do him in.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

Al Oliver was a fine ball player. He does merit more consieration for the HOF. He was a star but not a superstar. He could hit but wasn't the best hitter during his era. He was a good glove but not the best glove. I'd love to see him in. He was a pretty good guy and a pretty good interview when he spoke. He may one day become a veteran's pick. I don't have much argument with his not getting in because of the competition he faced on the ballot.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

So are you saying you think Posada gets in?

5. A lot of this also applies to Bill Madlock.

Both were good, but not Hall good.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

Madlock should be in. Great hitter. Not a bad glove. I'd rank him higher than Oliver.

7. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

The key problem with Madlock is that despite having played for fifteen seasons, he had so realtively few at bats. A lot of people are overlooking how much weight should be given to his Hall credentials based on having garnered four batting titles. I don't care what era he played in, under what circumstances that is extraordinary and simply can't be summarily brushed aside. However, having said that, he simply doesn't have the other numbers to merit consideration. His 4 batting titles and .305 career batting average are great. Had he done that with 2500+ hits, I'd say his Hall worthiness would have increased exponentially. Also had he either 1000+ runs scored or runs batted in to go with that, I'd say he would be a lot more worthy. However, not only does he not have 1000+ in either category, but he never even had 100+ in a season for either.

Once again, if you really want to look at why he is on the outside looking in, it goes back to lack of career at bats. Consider this, while he did win four batting titles, he only placed in the top 10 in a season for hits three times!!!

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I can't help but somehow feel responsible for this. From the Dwight Evans thread:

And for the record, no Al Oliver was a heckuva player, but not nearly a Hall of Famer.

9. Yeah a better player all the way around the Oliver. But not a Hall of Famer IMO.

10. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Prediction? No, but I think I would vote for him. His numbers for a catcher are excellent (I might vote for Simmons too - not enough catchers, or at least not the right ones).

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Madlock had a great run for about nine years, but to finish with barely 2,000 hits and just over .300 isn't going to get him anywhere close to Cooperstown.

Draft saved Draft deleted