1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AL & NL Rookie of the Year Poll

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PhilaYank36, Aug 23, 2007.

?

Pick who you think deserves the AL & NL R.O.Y. Award? Make sure you vote for a player in EACH league

1. Brian Bannister, RHP (AL - Kansas City)

9 vote(s)
    17.0%
  2. Travis Buck, OF (AL - Oakland)

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  3. Alex Gordon, 3B-1B (AL - Kansas City)

4 vote(s)
    7.5%
  4. Jeremy Guthrie, RHP (AL - Baltimore)

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
  5. Daisuke Matsuzaka, RHP (AL - Boston)

7 vote(s)
    13.2%
  6. Hideki Okajima, LHP (AL- Boston)

5 vote(s)
    9.4%
  7. Dustin Pedroia, 2B (AL - Boston)

18 vote(s)
    34.0%
  8. Joakim Soria, RHP (AL - Kansas City)

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  9. Reggie Willits, OF (AL - Los Angeles)

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
  10. Ryan Braun, 3B (NL - Milwaukee)

35 vote(s)
    66.0%
  11. Josh Hamilton, OF (NL - Cincinnati)

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  12. Tim Lincecum, RHP (NL - San Francisco)

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
  13. James Loney, 1B (NL - Los Angeles)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. Hunter Pence, OF (NL - Houston)

6 vote(s)
    11.3%
  15. Troy Tulowitzki, SS (NL - Colorado)

3 vote(s)
    5.7%
  16. Chris B. Young, OF (NL - Arizona)

3 vote(s)
    5.7%
  17. other AL (please list)

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  18. other NL (please list)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

Obviously this doesn't mean anything as far as picking a ROY, but which pitcher do you think will be better next year?

2. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I think Dice-K will be better next year, though both will be good.

As you stated, that doesn't mean anything.

3. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Dice-K won't have to battle through a sophomore slump, since he's actually a veteran.

That said, Bannister will have a much better offense (hopefully!) next year as the young kids mature.

A lineup with Alex Gordon, Billy Butler and Mark Teahen in the lineup could be very good if Dayton Moore can sign a power hitter such as an Adam Dunn.

Unfortunately, there are a ton of former Royals on other teams with more home runs than anyone KC has.

4. SnoopyBoy

SnoopyBoy Member

Anyone who picks Chris Young over Braun or Pence is an idiot. Young strikes out waaay too much and his RISP is like .140. Embarrassing. That's why he has 26 homers and 45 RBIs. Braun is No. 1, Pence is No. 2, though it would have been close had Pence not missed a month with a wrist injury.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Dice-K gave up seven runs last night. Must have been the pressure that comes with pitching for the Red Sox. If he were with the Royals, he would have no-hit the Blue Jays.

6. HandsomeHarley

7. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

You want to see a guy do nothing without pressure? Look at Alex Gordon. Guy does nothing in pressure situations. Borderline worthless. His three hits and two RBIs last night meant nothing because:

1. The first two RBIs came in the first inning with the bases loaded and two outs. Wouldn't have mattered had he struck out.

2. The last two RBIs came with the score 5-0. Ross Gload's clutch home run earlier that inning ensured a safe lead for Kansas City, and everything else was garbage.

And let's not forget those garbage home runs he hit on Sunday.

Pressure? Ha! Not in Kansas City! Dice-K knows pressure and like Oz elogantly pointed out, it obviously got to him last night.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Braun is a ridiculously easy choice despite his lousy defensive play.

I voted for Bannister in the AL, though I could see Gordon changing some minds over the final month. He has gotten better and better as the season has progressed.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I think he surrendered any chances he had with his first two months of the season. Though it's not entirely his fault, he was saddled with tremendous expectations and didn't start meeting them until July, really. With a loaded class in the AL as it is, that pretty much killed his chances for the award. Clearly, he hasn't been the best player on his team this year. He will be soon, but not this season.

10. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

This is a different thread, but there are certainly some players who have struggled in places like Boston and New York. I don't think succeeding in those places should equal bonus points or anything, but there's no denying that some players haven't been cut out for it.

Also, Dice-K is clearly showing signs of fatigue because of the five-man rotation after pitching more of a college schedule. He's toast, even if he's denying it right now. I expect him to have a similar second year with the Sox as Beckett has had this year.

11. HandsomeHarley

This might help Bannister's cause. From the Kansas City Star:

Royals’ Bannister chosen as AL Rookie of the Month
    By BOB DUTTON
    The Kansas City Star

ARLINGTON, Texas | The Royals, at this rate, will retire the American League Rookie of the Month award.

Right-hander Brian Bannister made it three Royals in a row Tuesday when he learned of his selection as August’s winner. Bannister also won the honor in June. Teammate Billy Butler was the July recipient.
    “We’re trying to keep it in the family,” Bannister said. “Gordo is off to a good start (for September).”
    Third baseman Alex Gordon has three homers and seven RBIs in September’s first three games.

Bannister, 26, won the August award after going 4-1 with a 2.90 ERA in six starts. He beat out Boston second baseman Dustin Pedroia, Chicago third baseman Josh Fields and New York pitcher Joba Chamberlain in media balloting.

“I’m just trying to continue to put stability in the rotation and give us consistent innings,” Bannister said. “I know this past month that my innings were up but my strikeouts were down. I get criticism for that, but it’s by design. It’s the way that I try to pitch. Save the bullpen.”

Bannister is 12-7 overall with a 3.16 ERA in 23 starts.
    The Royals had won the award only once before this season: Shortstop Angel Berroa was the July 2003 recipient.

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Good for the Royals. You would think that for a team with three good rookies, the Red Sox would have won that award once in the past three months.

Draft saved Draft deleted