1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AL/NL Comeback Player of the Year

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KevinmH9, Aug 18, 2008.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Mussina

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Part of Mussina going 11-15 in 2001 was pitching for a shitty Baltimore team. In 2002, he went 17-10 with a Yankees team that consistently made it far in postseason.

Mussina's putting up numbers for a New York team that won't sniff the playoffs after stinking up the joint last year. As for Cliff Lee, until this year, I would have said "who the fuck is he? 'Spaceman' Lee's kid?"

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Prior to last year, Cliff Lee was 14-8, 18-5, 14-11.
    Last year 5-8, 6.29, 20 games, some time on DL, some time in minors.
    Now, 17-2, 2.43.

Mussina's "comeback" is not on the same freaking planet.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Can you leave Josh Hamilton out of the discussion?

Technically his comeback was last year in the NL, even though he was never in the bigs before. He did get less than 300 ABs. But he didn't win it last year. I don't think MLB releases the vote totals, so I don't know by how much Dmitri Young beat Hamilton in the NL last season. Hamilton was nominated last year. But Hamilton could very well win kind of a lifetime achievement Comeback Player of the Year award.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Exactly. Lee was worse than Mussina last year and he has been better than Mussina this year.

6. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Heck, I'd consider giving the nod to CC for his comeback from his mediocre first half of the season. What he's doing in Milwaukee right now is impressive.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

and that's why you're a schmoe.

8. david kaye

david kaye Member

Yes, give the comeback player of the year to the guy who won the Cy Young last year. ::)

9. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Nobody thought Cliff Lee had fallen off the, well, Cliff. Maybe he needed a change of scenery, but most people figured he'd at least come back to be a league average pitcher.

Mussina--who had several seasons better than Lee's best--was toast, finished, kaput at 38. And he's completely reinvented himself and is probably going to win 20 games (and maybe even become the first active player enshrined in the Hall of Fame!!!).

I agree Lee will probably win the Comeback Player of the Year (as well as the Cy Young). but if I had a vote, it'd go to Mussina.

11. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

not even close.

lee and wood are the slam dunk winners.

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

AL: Kirk Dressendorfer
    NL: Andujar Cedeno

Draft saved Draft deleted