1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AL/NL Comeback Player of the Year

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KevinmH9, Aug 18, 2008.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Lidge was solid last year.

2. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Could Mussina get AL comeback player of the year? A year ago, he had a 5+ ERA and lost his spot in the starting rotation. Now he could win 18 games in his 40s and frankly has been the Yanks' most consistent pitcher all season.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I love Jacobs -- and not just because of his name and his minor-league roots -- but he's way too inexperienced to get this award; his rookie-eligible year was in 2006. Not only that, he batted .265 last year -- .03 points higher than he did in 2006.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

He blew eight saves in 27 opportunities. Only Chad Cordero blew more saves (nine), but he also converted 37 of 45 opportunities.

Lidge pitched well when he wasn't closing, which kept his ERA respectable, but he was not solid in 2007. It was his second consecutive lousy season closing games.

I would probably vote for Wood over Lidge, but they both belong in the conversation.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It is nowhere near as dramatic of a turnaround as what Lee has done.

6. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Cliff Lee and Kerry Wood have the awards already.

7. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Billy Wagner if he ever comes back.

8. I think the AL is too obvious with Cleveland's Cliff Lee but in the NL, I can't decide between Kerry Wood or Ryan Ludwick.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

That's a great call.

It's one thing to come back from hell at 29 like Lee. Quite another to look washed up at 39 and, perhaps, win 20 games for the first time.

10. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Ludwick is a solid vote in the NL. The guy is mashing the ball right now and this is his first full year as a starter.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Ryan Ludwick? Where/what did he come back from?
    He was nothing for 4 years, was decent last year, is having a very good year this year. But you have to have been somewhere in order to come back.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Then why does he get a nod as a comeback player?

Draft saved Draft deleted