1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AL/NL Comeback Player of the Year

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KevinmH9, Aug 18, 2008.

1. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

In the best interest of not interrupting the current baseball thread, and considering we've discussed ROY, MVP and Cy Young candidates, why not discuss who you all think is the "come back player of the year" in each league.

At this moment, I have no idea who I'd even select for candidacy.

2. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

NL: Kerry Wood

3. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

OF Jody Gerut, Padres

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Then why start a thread?
    Moran!

5. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Jermaine Dye should get some consideration. I also think Wood is a solid choice in the NL.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Cliff Lee should be a candidate in the American League. He wasn't hurt, but he was so bad that the Indians demoted him to the minors and now he is a Cy Young candidate.

Milton Bradley also deserves consideration. He blew out his knee in 2007, but he returned to have a career year.

7. outofplace

Dye had a down year in '07, but he didn't descend to nearly the same level of stink as Cliff Lee did.

I agree that Wood is a solid choice in the NL.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

No doubter in the AL -- Cliff Lee. Cy Young AND Comeback Player of the Year. Guy got DEMOTED last year.

Kerry Wood would be a fine choice in the NL.

Under-the-radar guy in the NL could be Mike Lincoln. Middle reliever who hasn't pitched in the bigs since 2004, having a very fine year.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Forget candidate, he's a slam-dunk winner already. He won 14, 18 and 14 games from 2004-06 before falling into oblivion a year ago. And now he's back.

10. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

To see what everyone else thought. I am not the only one on this board with an opinion on a single topic, Spnited. But if I had to make my predictions, I'd give it to Brad Lidge (NL) and Cliff Lee (AL). I'd also consider Mike Jacobs from the Marlins. He's kind of under-the-radar, but he has had a hell of a year in FLA.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Ron Gant.

oh sorry, old habit.

12. outofplace

No argument with his credentials. Bradley isn't a bad one, either, but Lee would have my vote.

Edit: KevinmH9 brings up a good one with Lidge in the NL.

Danks has no business in this discussion. It's not a comeback if you hadn't ever had major-league success. Danks struggled a bit as a rookie in '07 (5.50 ERA) before putting together a very strong '08. It would be like giving the NL award to Edinson Volquez.

Draft saved Draft deleted