1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AL MVP

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Hank_Scorpio, Nov 21, 2011.

1. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

Funny. No such award exists, but I think that sounds like a great project for Twogloves!

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Oh, this is perfect. Comes in here making fun of my use of the quote function, then he butchers it himself. Thank you for being your usual entertaining self, Zag.

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Stop whining about your Pittsburgh heroes sucking ass on National TV. yinzer = loser ha ha ha ha

4. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Jesus, these exchanges make me long for a MankyJim soliloquy on Jeter. "The leaves had turned brown and fallen off the trees, as though they seemingly developed an apathy for life itself, but yet The Captain practiced on as the dull Autumn Sun retreated below the horizon of The Great New Stadium."

5. outofplace

There. Try that next time. Honesty would be a wonderful change of pace for you.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

So you are saying Verlander won the MVP because everyone else on his team was good?

If Papelbon doesn't blow that save in the Red Sox last game, does Ellsbury win the MVP?

7. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

If Verlander wins 20 games instead of 24, and the rest of his numbers are the same, does he win the MVP?

8. outofplace

Wrong again, TSP. I'm saying he won because he was dominant and his team was good. Is it silly that Papelbon blowing that save probably cost Ellsbury votes? Sure. But that's the reality of MVP voting.

9. TheSportsPredictor

You're implying that if, say, the Indians won one more game than the Tigers and everything else was the same, then Verlander would not have won the MVP because his team would not have won its division.

10. outofplace

Wrong again. I'm flat-out saying that it probably would have changed some votes. Maybe not enough to cost him the award, but it would have had an impact.

11. TheSportsPredictor

So then I was right, you are saying he received votes for MVP because his teammates were good.

As you say, that is the reality of MVP voting. I don't disagree with this being the case. Verlander won the MVP because of his record and because his teammates were good, probably more so than because of his other pitching numbers.

12. outofplace

No, you are wrong. You said it was all about his won-loss record, which is overly simplistic and incorrect.

It was because he was dominant while playing for a winning team. The record was simply one reflection of the performance that earned him the MVP.

Draft saved Draft deleted