1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AL MVP

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Hank_Scorpio, Nov 21, 2011.

1. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Jeter was your pick? Really? Shocking! Did your boy even finish in the top 100?

2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I thought it was kind a "meh" year for MVP candidates, with no obvious winner, so I think a case could be made for all three guys, and I wouldn't have been that miffed if any of them won it. Personally, if I had a ballot, I would probably would have went Ellsbury, Batista and then Verlander, with Granderson also high up, I imagine.

3. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

So doubling it up, he would have went 22-8 against nothing but the "good teams," right? Still not shabby at all for a guy who also led the league in ERA and SOs

4. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

If he went 22-8 -- double his record against everyone outside the AL Central -- he doesn't sniff the MVP.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Same numbers? Just less run support?

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Jeter - Zero votes. :D

8. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

And talking about the Yankees, who the fuck gave David Robertson a vote?

9. Dick Whitman

Why are we discounting his performance against the AL Central anyway?

Winning the division is how you get into the playoffs in baseball. And in an unbalanced schedule, dominating your division is a huge factor in winning the division.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

What's really weird is that Saraceno got one.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Right, if he did everything the same yet had a 22-8 record, no chance he gets MVP. Maybe he would get a couple votes, like Felix Hernandez last year. They put together pretty much the same seasons, except Verlander was credited with a much better record.

Not saying that Verlander doesn't deserve the MVP. Just that the actual reason he won MVP was his record.

12. Dick Whitman

I think it's probably more a function of his team's record than his own. The perception is that he pitched his team into the playoffs.

If he had this season and finished 22-8 and the Tigers miss the playoffs, you're right, no MVP. But 22-8 and they do get in? Tough call. I would hope the answer is yes. Hard to tell.

Draft saved Draft deleted