1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AL MVP

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Hank_Scorpio, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Justin Verlander wins it.

Haven't seen the vote tallies, but saw the announcement he won.

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Verlander first, Ellsbury second, Bautista third

Verlander 13 first place votes, Ellsbury four first place and Bautista six (think that was the breakdown, but not completely sure).

3. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

Hard to argue. He won so many games that it overcame the anti-pitcher bias when it comes to MVP voting.

4. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

I think Bautista should have finished ahead of Ellsbury.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I have no problem with Verlander winning. How did Ellsbury finish ahead of Bautista? No offense to Ellsbury, had a hell of a year and was one of the very few Red Sox not to fold in September, but really, that's a puzzling choice.

6. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

This is bulls&@t. I can't believe they actually gave it to a pitcher when there are position players deserving of the award. Jeter was my pick but I would've settled for Cabrera or Cano.

7. I'm OK with Verlander winning it, but I'm disappointed that Bautista was snubbed again. He has had two incredible seasons in a row and MVP voters seem only mildly impressed. His team's lack of a great record should not weigh so heavily in the voting, IMHO.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Winners win MVPs!

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This is going to turn out to be one of the less controversial MVP choices, certainly less controversial than previous years of pitchers winning, because there's no set of stats to compare Verlander's contribution to Ellsbury's. We have a way of looking at Ellsbury and Bautista and saying "that's crazy" about the idea of picking Ellsbury. But pitcher vs. hitter is still entirely subjective.

10. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

Ellsbury had a better season than Batista. Look up Jose Batista's second half numbers. Then look up Adam Dunn's. Identical...

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

There's WAR.

Not perfect, but at least an attempt to equalize comparisons between pitchers and position players.

12. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

Bautista's has come a long way from being an OK player for the not-so-OK Pittsburgh Pirates.

Draft saved Draft deleted