1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AL MVP?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ArnoldBabar, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

It probably shouldn't play into the voters' decisions, but I'm guessing Hamilton's comeback story will help him win.

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

If it's decided by exposure etc., Hamilton will win.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

September exposure > July exposure.

4. pallister

pallister Guest

Well, Zeke, today I concede your MVP argument. Quentin just struck out with the bases loaded, then Dye followed wth two-run double.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

No worries. It's not like you said Johan Santana sucked, or something batshit crazy like that.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

At least he's back in the lineup today. Of course, he was hit by a pitch again his first time up.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

The fucking Royals are a menace.

8. Josh Hamilton, and the line starts behind him.

9. pallister

pallister Guest

No shit, what's the deal with the Royals? The pitchers can't be that bad. I would say something about the manager, but I have no idea who it is.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Who would ever be crazy enough to say Johan Santana sucks?*

*I never said he sucked. I said he wasn't pitch as well as a $140 million ace should. So, fuck you, Twinkies fanboilooser!

11. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

There's a pretty interesting parallel between Quentin/Dye and Hamilton/Bradley, in that they're tandems of players having remarkable seasons in the same lineup.

Hamilton has batted 3rd, mostly, and his current line:
    .302/.367/.551, 28 homers, 27 doubles, 48 walks:92Ks
    Bradley mostly batting cleanup:
    .321/.448(!)/.594, 20 homers, 26 doubles, 67BB:89K

Quentin, batting mostly 3rd:
    .284/.382/.565 with 32 homers, 21 doubles, 50BB:71K
    Dye, batting 4th and 5th:
    .301/.358/.570 with 28 homers, 27 doubles, 34BB:84K

Now, which of those players has had the best season? Hamilton has inflated RBI totals because he bats earlier in the lineup and, as someone earlier pointed out, has two outstanding hitters in front of him -- Young and Kinsler -- getting on base a lot. Bradley may also be hurt by the fact that he's got 20 fewer games under his belt. Of the four, I'd probably vote for Dye. I just don't think there's a definitive answer here, and you can't say that any has been "far and away" the best. EDIT-I'm an idiot with the Dye thing. I didn't even look at his relative fail with RISP.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Bradley is having a career year. He's blossoming in the Ranger clubhouse culture and I hope they re-sign him, at least for another year and see how his knee holds up. But he's not even in the discussion for MVP.

Draft saved Draft deleted