1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AL MVP?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ArnoldBabar, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

1. Hamilton
    2. Quentin
    3. Kinsler
    4. Youkilis

After that, ???? Evan Longoria, K-Rod, A-Rod, Cliff Lee and Sizemore probably get top 10, no?

2. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

Morneau should be in the mix.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Isn't Derek Jeter the MVP every year?

4. casty33

casty33 Active Member

I haven't thought much about it but, at this point, it would be hard to argue with Quentin. One thing I wonder is how voters may treat Francisco Rodriguez. I throw that out on this board especially since I know so many of you hate the idea of closers in MVP talk. And don't start screaming at me, I'm not saying I would vote for him but simply asking the question of where he may fit in the discussion.

5. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

He's not even having the best season among closers. He's just racking up the save totals because his team has played a disproportionately high amount of close games. I'd argue Nathan and Rivera are having better seasons, and they're nowhere near the MVP discussion.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Hamilton
    Quentin
    Youkilis
    Morneau
    A-Rod
    Sizemore
    Kinsler
    Dye
    Pedroia
    Markakis

Not a huge fan of voting pitchers in MVP votes, seeing as they have the Cy Young.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

How many save chances has Rodriguez blown?

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Paging Zeke....

Hamilton's numbers are better by a significant margin, but if the Twins make the playoffs and the Rangers do not, Morneau should get the nod. Team success should be a factor and Hamilton also has a much better lineup around him. Ian Kinsler should also be in everybody's top 10 for AL MVP and Milton Bradley is having a career year batting behind Hamilton.

Youkillis also belongs in the top 10, but he has also had either Manny Ramirez, David Ortiz or both to help him out all season. He may be Boston's most valuable player for the season, but has he ever been the most feared hitter in that lineup?

A couple of people mentioned Carlos Quentin, who is the biggest reason for the improvement of the White Sox this year from last, but he has Jermaine Dye putting up big numbers behind him.

If things end up as they are right now, I'd give it to Hamilton only because the Twins would miss the playoffs (they are a half-game behind the White Sox at the moment). Here is my top five for now, but I'd switch the top two if the Twins get in.

1. Hamilton
    2. Morneau
    3. Quentin
    4. Kinsler
    5. Youkilis

9. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Five. Tied for fifth-most in the league.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Thanks.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

He has blown five save chances, but that is in 51 opportunities.

By comparison, Nathan has blown three of his 35 save chances. Rivera has blown one in 29 opportunities.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Rivera also has blown a 4 tie games ... he has 4 losses.

Draft saved Draft deleted