1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

al mvp race

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shockey, Aug 22, 2009.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

bumped in light of the cy young threadjack: i'm conceding on mauer, who continues to shine as the hard-charging twins are up over .500 now and within two games of the al central lead.

'tis why the season is a marathon, not a sprint. my standards for mvp remain, rightly or wrongly. as i said on the other post, i would not have voted for a-rod when he won it with that dreadful rangers team several years back, although he had a remarkable season.

and to switch sports, 'tis why peyton manning rightly, imo, was the nfl mvp last year, when the "player of the year" was more likley drew brees, who had a remarkable statistical season.

i believe the mvp should go to the most important player on a team that does well. which is also why i've never been among those who argue that a pitcher should not be the mvp because they have their own award (cy young).

no, the cy young goes to the league's best pitcher, who may also be the league's mvp, imo. the mvp is not the league's best player, necessarily. but we go 'round and 'round.

the twins have improved their standing for a variety of reasons while mauer has maintained his tremendous pace. because of minnsota's improvement, yes, mauer's credentials for mvp have greatly improved in my book. i see no contradiction in this while apparently others are confounded.

whatever. guess i'll have to be satisfied to remain an enigmatic figure to some. :D

2. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

1. Joe Mauer
    2. Derek Jeter
    3. Mark Teixeira
    4. Miguel Cabrera
    5. Jason Bay
    6. Kendry Morales
    7. Nelson Cruz
    8. Bobby Abreu
    9. Chone Figgins
    10. Kevin Youkilis

That's off the top of my head.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Those of us who are confounded, in part, because Minnesota's been as steady as they come this season -- no more than six games above or below .500 at any given point and time. Even now, the Twins are four games over .500. They haven't exactly gotten better so much as the Tigers have gone in the tank.

So basically, your change in heart isn't because the Twins are now a better team, but because the Tigers are worse than they were a month or two ago, which has nothing to do with Mauer at all.

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

guess you're right. i'll withdraw my newfound support of mauer then, lest the twins finish the play and win the division. how's that?

if not, he's brees to the true mvp's manning, okay?

geezm ya can't win for losing 'round here.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

all he is pointing out is your ridiculous, pre-historic logic.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

There is no AL MVP race.
    1. Mauer

2. Teixeira
    3. Morales

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Exactly. That and the fraudulent "concession."

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Geez, will you guys quit obsessing over Shockey's take on this.

He's a NFL guy and a Yankees fan. That's two severe problems to overcome. ;D ;)

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

thanks, my brother! ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) ;) ;) ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted