1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

al mvp race

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shockey, Aug 22, 2009.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

didn't want to interrupt the flow on the rice discussion on the endless baseball thread so i started anew.

been hearing plenty lately how the amazing joe mauer is the front-runner, to which i ask, "why?" yes, his batting average is extraordinary. but his power numbers -- homers, doubles, rbi -- are certainly solid but nothing extraordinary.

most importantly, to me, is he's on a third-place team with little shot at the playoffs. when did the standing of your team lose its importance in mvp voting?

yes, i realize there have been several exceptions, most recently when a-rod won the mvp in texas when they sucked but his power numbers were ridiculous.

i have plenty of love for mauer, believe me. he's a marvelous young hitter and an excellent catcher as well, a rare combo. but given his team's standing, i don't see where his year demands mvp attention.

am i wrong? ??? ??? ???

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

If we insist on not giving the MVP to non-playoff teams, we shouldn't give it to teams who cruise to the playoffs either. It would have to be the best player on the team who made the playoffs by the narrowest margin.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Jeter will receive the Lifetime Achievement Award MVP.

4. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

Mauer's home run total might not lead the league, but you have to consider A) he hasn't played the entire season and B) for a guy who had never hit more than 13 homers in a season, he's doing pretty well for himself.

Edited for clarity

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Sorry, Rick, but that is insane.

6. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

It seemed to me Rick was being facetious.

7. 93Devil

I think Teixeira will take to many of his votes.

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

i'd have less of an issue with that than mauer getting it. although i disagree that a player on a team that "cruises" should not get it. it is entirely possible that one player on that team could have been the reason the team eventually "cruised," i'd argue.

again, it's the old semantics debate. i like my most "valuable" player to be a guy largely responsible for his team winning something.

a-rod, when he won that year in texas, would not have received my vote, either. he may have been the "player of the year," perhaps. as mauer might be this year, though i'm still not convinced.

a-rod put up huge numbers in a totally pressure-free environment, when everyone seems to acknowledge he's at his best.

i'm not saying mauer is the same, just that "valuable" is the word that hangs me up.

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

no question. but still not mvp numbers anywhere across the board except b.a.

10. 93Devil

If guy leads the league in OPS (which Mauer is running away with I think), then he is deserving as anyone.

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

why?

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Because where would the Twins be without him? They're at least sort of in the hunt. The idea that you have to will your team to the playoffs is a bit silly to me. Outside of Mauer and Morneau, there's not much in the Twins lineup worth a damn. It's not barren, but it's not good. And yet they're in the hunt in a tough division, albeit at the back of the chase.

Draft saved Draft deleted