1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Al Michaels to be an NBC Olympic host for Vancouver

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by markvid, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

CTV is on the cable systems for most cities in western Washington. NBC needs to get its head out of its ass when it comes to west coast broadcast of the olympics. Hell, if networks will air NFL pre-season games live, why not something as big as the Olympics?

Given the 3-hour time difference, I'm shocked that NBC wouldn't anchor late night live from Vancouver, where it would be about 8:30 or 9 p.m. Could even do live hockey and medal ceremonies.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Unless NBC has something more special in mind for its broadcasts

3. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

They did have hosts in Beijing, right? Costas and Lampley.

4. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Yep.

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I didn't care about sports when the Miracle on Ice game happened. I was 6. I also didn't have a clue about the context.

Even so, every time I see the footage and hear Al Michaels make that call, I choke up something fierce. That hasn't changed almost 30 years later.

6. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

The Miracle on Ice game was televised live ... in Canada ... on CTV. And thus seen live on the cable system in Lake Placid. At the end of the ABC telecast, Jim McKay mentions it people seeing it in a restaurant and reacting by singing the national anthem.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

In my mind, that's still the single greatest sporting event I've ever watched, when one factors in the social-political ramifications, the setting, the players, the whole bit.

Makes me yearn for simpler days.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

The only thing simpler about the past is our memories, because they didn't have as much material as they do today.

The world was never simple. Your world was simple.

Draft saved Draft deleted