1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Al Michaels to be an NBC Olympic host for Vancouver

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by markvid, Mar 5, 2009.

1. markvid

markvid Guest

http://www.nbcumv.com/release_detail.nbc/sports-20090305000000-034i039vebeen.html

My guess is, from what I've been hearing, he'll be based in NY. Primetime is the only show, as of now, to have a studio in Vancouver.

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Well good. Always liked him ever since I started watching MNF back in Britain.

3. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Can't really argue against that. Always liked Al Michals.

Wish I was old enough to have seen the "Miracle on Ice" game live.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

No one's ever gotten as much mileage out of six words.

5. markvid

markvid Guest

Even if Ken Dryden tried to step all over them.

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I can understand why NBC didn't have a host in Beijing. But not having one in Vancouver?

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Are they still having those games? I thought Canada went bankrupt or something.

8. markvid

markvid Guest

2 reasons, HB...the IOC told them they took up too much space in Torino, so they are only allowed to bring half the people they did in 2006.
    Also, given most of this will be live across all the networks, less need for editing, etc. It will cost millions less to base a lot in NYC and fiber and data line things to Vancouver as needed.

9. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Will most of it really be live across all the networks? Even if they do show some of the less popular events live in the daytime, they surely won't air alpine skiing live. And they'll need edited packages of stuff like bobsled, luge, nordic skiing, etc., to fill time in prime time.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

That's really surprising they'd base Al in New York. Vancouver isn't some little village, hell the place is lousy with studio space.
    I wonder if Ebersol has filled the "nightlife" reporter position, or they're just going to throw it to Russert's kid.
    Sucks being on the west coast, even people in Bellingham will have to wait three hours to see what's going on just an hour north.

11. markvid

markvid Guest

Wouldn't the Bellingham folks have access to a CTV affiliate?

12. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Well, the story says he'll be doing daytime and weekend coverage. I assume that means Costas will be in Vancouver for the primetime show.

Draft saved Draft deleted