1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Al Gore: Shameless Opportunist, or Exalted Expert? He speaks on Myanmar

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Piotr Rasputin, May 7, 2008.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

http://www.citizensugar.com/1609388

Depending on your point of view, of course.

Apologies if I "Pulled a melbatoast" here. I searched and didn't see this discussed yet.

2. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Shameless opportunist? I suppose if you had evidence that Gore went to NPR demanding time right now, instead of NPR going to him because it was good timing for NPR. I think probably the latter would be the more likely situation. There's an issue, they go to the Rolodex (or electronic equivalent).

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Not a shameless opportunist and not an exalted expert. But if he presented what he said as anything but a POSSIBILITY, he is an ass. It isn't like we didn't extreme weather events until recently.

4. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Al Gore is one smart man. He's avoided the stress of political leadership and an account of eight years of his own presidency and become an object of adoration for a selective group that wants to destroy civilization because of issues which are more related to weather cycles over millions of years than self-inflicted greenhouse gasses. He's famous, he's rich, and he's cashing in every day on this game.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

"A selective group that wants to destroy civilization"?

We're talking about Gore, not Bush and his henchmen.

Once again, read something about the subject before you post your inanities.

6. Yawn

Yawn New Member

A select group which wants to save the polar bear at the risk of destroying every progressive economy in the world.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Look up "not mutually exclusive" and report back.

8. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Actually, the countries developing cutting-edge energy alternatives - especially those in Europe and Asia - are kicking our economic ass.

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

In defense of Gore, read an interview in Esquire with the guy who actually invented the IP/TCP protocal for the Internet and he gave Gore a great deal of credit for having the vision for the Internet.

(Couldn't find link on esquire site.)

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

QT: I think I read that as well.

"Gore invented the internet" is one of the better examples of right wing sleezeball idiocy, including but not limited to Swift Boat, Vince Foster & Whitewater.

11. markvid

markvid Guest

Is it ridiculous? Of course, but Gore has done zero to distance himself from the myth. That is part of the problem.

12. Why does he have an obligation to "distance himself from the myth"? How about folks in our business refusing to employ it? As to the rest of it, well, the "moderate" view seems to be that the scientific evidence for climate change is preliminary. This, of course, is as wrong as the notion that there is a conspiracy of Gaia-worshippers working to undermine the booming US economy.

Draft saved Draft deleted