1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AL Gold Glove Awards -- Jeter Wins at SS

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Nov 10, 2009.

1. cwilson3

cwilson3 Member

What a joke. Jeter's range can best be exemplified against the Angels when he couldn't get to that slow roller up the middle. Incredible.

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Only one of the winners threw a perfect game this year.

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

There's a difference between throwing a perfect game and being perfect.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Throwing a perfect game in the regular season < making a routine relay throw in the playoffs

Oh wait, that was Teixeira this time...

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

So, I've never heard of UZR, but if he's in the top three, doesn't that mean he's a legitimate candidate for the gold glove?

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Sure. That's what I'm saying.

Fielding varies year to year quite a bit, and by no means has anyone perfected a method for measuring the value of fielding, but if you wanted to make a sabermetric case that Jeter was good defensively this year, it's there to be made.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

LOL. I'm obviously a Yankee and a Jeter fan, but I appreciate a good one-liner as much as the next guy.

Well done.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

If not Jeter who?

9. cwilson3

cwilson3 Member

Ehh, good point. AL shortstops just ain't what they used to be.

10. cwilson3

cwilson3 Member

I still think Jeter looks like shit, but he led in FP and his stats ain't bad. http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/fielding/_/position/ss/league/al/order/true

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Maybe Jeter winning is a joke. Don't know. Didn't watch enough of him this year. But the belief that defense can be measured through sabermetrics is one of the biggest jokes in baseball in a long, long time.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Gold Glove at shortstop is a thankless thing to figure out. Never drops the ball, but are there a lot of balls they don't get to that others would? And how the hell do you figure that out?

Draft saved Draft deleted