1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Al Davis: July 4, 1929 - October 8, 2011

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Azrael, Oct 8, 2011.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Autumn Wind is fantastic.

From Bronco Nation ... rot in ...

nevermind. RIP, you son of a bitch.

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/nfl/post/_/id/264/what-was-al-davis-succession-plan

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/5951/chuck-klosterman-remembering-oakland-raiders-owner-al-davis

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

New England now has to worry that Oakland won't run all Cover-1 tomorrow.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

According to the obits by AP and the Oakland Tribune, Al's wife and son are supposed to inherit the team. But I'd anticipate Amy Trask calling a lot of the shots for a while.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The Raiders are playing the Texans - figure they will go vertical and Schaub will go down, and go down hard.
    It is interesting though - it doesn't sound like there was anyone else who controlled the football ops. They will need a GM.
    I may be mistaken, but Davis was the third longest tenured owner in the league after Bud Adams and Ralph Wilson right?

6. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

It was a ride full of ups and downs, but man it was a hell of a ride, and I wouldnt have had it any other way. Al Davis means so much to the NFL and especially the Raiders. He did things the way that he wanted and there is something to be said for guys like that. Say what you will about Al, but he loved his players past and present, he loved the game of football, and his motivation was always winning. He had a vision and he worked his butt off to get there, its a great story. Just win baby.

RIP Al Davis, we lost an icon and a legend yesterday and Raider football will never be the same. You will be missed.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

All AFL guys.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Ed Werder - "The tragic death of Al Davis"

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

[​IMG]

"Here I come for your fucking job Crypt Keeper."

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. shockey

shockey Active Member

did ed really say this? by what definition is the death of an 82-year-old man clearly in failing health in recent years 'tragic'?

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

To a lot of 81-year-olds out there, shock, the death of an 82-year-old may be termed "tragic."

Not everybody looks at that like, "Well, his life was over anyway ..." Some people want to live a little longer. It's all in your perspective.

Dude, when I'm 80-plus, I sure hope I'm looking at the death of my contempories as "tragic."

12. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

But Davis didn't become an owner until later while Adams and Wilson have been owners from the very start of the AFL. As far as A_QB's question goes, William Clay Ford bought into the Lions in 1963. Davis didn't purchase a part of the Raiders until 1966, so Davis was fourth in tenure when he passed.

Draft saved Draft deleted