1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Al Davis: July 4, 1929 - October 8, 2011

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Azrael, Oct 8, 2011.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

How?

And what Al Davis bidding wars hastened the merger? It was inevitable anyway, and the Namath signing was the tipping point.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

RIP

I'm glad the Raiders have a decent team with a star player when he watched them for the last time.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The first time I saw him up close was at the NFL Owners meetings in 2003 or 2004. He looked like he wouldn't live another week.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Impossible.

5. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

As influential as Al Davis was in the history of the NFL; and as big an unmitigated prick as he was, this is not open for debate, here is the only thing I like about the Raidhus.

6. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

The autumn wind is a pirate blustering in from sea......
    The Autumn wind is a Raider
    Pillaging just for fun
    He'll knock you 'round and upside down
    And laugh when he's conquered and won.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Didn't realize Steve Sabol wrote that - someone else did the music.

8. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

Yeah, Dan. I think it was Sam Spence who did the music.

9. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

A friend of mine on Facebook just joked:

Al told God that he had a great offer from Purgatory and that if God wants him in heaven he better sweeten the deal.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

But make no mistake: he was a son of a bitch.

11. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

That is the question that I have about who would run the organization and will this give AEG the leverage that they wanted and will they now by the Raiders and move them down to Farmers Field.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Before they get to any of that, they're going to have to find a way to get through a season that until now had held some promise. I honestly don't know how they would even figure out the procedure of signing a player to replace someone who is injured, restructuring contracts to massage the cap, etc. That's how tightly Al controlled the operation. I guess it falls to Hue Jackson now.

On the other hand, the defensive coordinator actually gets to coordinate the defense, so that will be new.

Draft saved Draft deleted