1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Al Davis: July 4, 1929 - October 8, 2011

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Azrael, Oct 8, 2011.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

ESPN.com has a one-sentence blurb on it atop their waterfall/stack.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

CBSSports.com has a breaking news banner on it, citing the website. Nowhere else.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Bad week for Bay Area visionaries.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

It's on SportsCenter now, so it must have been confirmed.

5. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

RIP.

6. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

That JaMarcus Russell selection really did kill him...

7. before you ask . . . yes, too soon.

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Can't say I'm shocked this thread title doesn't say "RIP" . . .

Former football genius, more recently a hateful prick who looked like he was kept alive only by the evil will of his dark demonic heart. OK, that's not true . . . he was always a hateful prick; witness how he gained ownership of the team.

But he was a giant of the game, at all times.

RIP.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I didn't realize he was born on July 4 ... Odd coincidence that two iconic sports franchise owners were born on that date.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Just heard on the radio. And as a long-time Raider fan originally from the East Bay, I'm sad. Kind of surprised considering how I felt when he ripped the team from Oakland in the 80s, but bygones being bygones and such.
    Don't know if a team, an organization, was more crafted in the image of an owner more (even apparently to the end - remember when the Raiders never used to even announce who they cut during training camp or that their office directory doesn't spell out the duties of most of their staff?).
    Still I'm sad - because Al Davis was the Raiders and the Raiders are Al Davis. He was a football legend and the league wouldn't be as colorful without the man behind the silver and black.
    It's odd - in the last week I heard one radio interview with a Raider receiver who said he'd never met Davis and then I figure Hue Jackson's guarantee the Raiders would win the division might have been more than just popping off - it might have been a final salute, or promise to the boss.
    Farewell Al Davis. Just win baby.

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Like it or not, the son of a bitch did things his way: Good, bad, or indifferent.

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Steinbrenner?

Draft saved Draft deleted