1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Al Davis: July 4, 1929 - October 8, 2011

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Azrael, Oct 8, 2011.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

http://www.raiders.com

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Holy crap, he WAS human!

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Maybe the best example ever of a guy who stayed too long and tarnished his legacy. Up through about 1990, though, what a legacy it was.

4. odd. can't find anything about this anywhere, other than their site.

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

It was just posted.

6. except for on wikipedia, of course. :)

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, I generally make an exception to the two-source rule if I see news posted on a person's or his or her organization's website.

As for Al Davis, the nicest thing I can say about him is that he resembled my former publisher in his later years and started acting like him, too. In light of Webby's policy against speaking ill of those who have just passed, I'll leave it at that.

8. I know, but the original post was made about a half an hour ago. I would have expected something, maybe a shefter tweet. Ap alert.

9. Just did the math on how old he was and the first thing I thought was . . . he looked much older. Either way, RIP.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

A pioneer and a great legacy up until about 15 years ago.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

No it wasn't. It was made like 5 minutes ago. The timer on SJ has been getting slower and slower. Right now, it's 25 minutes behind the time on my laptop.

12. Well, that would essplain it then. And now that I see my comment was posted at 1017, and not 1041, I understand.

Draft saved Draft deleted