1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Al Davis Gets Real?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by qtlaw, Nov 5, 2008.

1. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

I'm really starting to love Kawakami's blog.

And that. Cracks me up every time.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

In the Raiders' opening night game against Denver -- the one they lost 41-14, or something close to that -- DeAngelo Hall was abused by Eddie Royal. It wasn't a mild case of abuse. It was almost criminal. Nine catches, 140+ yards, a TD and Royal got under the Raiders' skins and drew a couple of personal foul penalties. Hall has an overrated reputation. He earns a lot. Royal was a rookie in his first pro game. Denver showed a ton of respect to Nnamdi Asomugha on the other side and isolated the rookie on Hall--their game plan was actually to abuse Hall. And these are two guys with history of lining up on each other in practice at V. Tech, so they were out their trying to make personal statements and Royal embarrassed Hall. Davis was an idiot for giving Hall that much $$ in the first place. Waiving him now is beside the point.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Hall is lazy and gets even more so when he's on a bad team. He's not without his baggage, but put him on a good team and get him motivated and he has the talent to be one of the best in the NFL.

4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Million dollar physical ability, two cent brain, non stop mouth.

He makes some big plays, but he gives up just as many.

Caveat emptor.

5. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

If he was even on a decent team, Hall would still draw personal foul penalties, and act an ass.

Could have not happened to a nice, eh, punk-ass jerk.

Good for Atlanta to not only purge themselves of Vick and Petrino, but also Hall and Joe Horn: the mouthy and malcontent cancers in that locker room. No leadership, all trash-talk.

6. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Man, Falcons fleeced the Raiders by dumping Hall and getting the second-round pick.

7. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Diabeetus, it was worth bamboozling Raider Al!

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

after all the crap jerry jones has done to his beloved "america's team," i'd certainly hope he resists signing hall. we shall see.

9. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Do the Patriots come a-callin'?

10. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

All true except the part about Hall and Royal practicing against each other at Va. Tech. I'm pretty sure Hall was gone by the time Royal arrived.

And I don't think this is any indication that Al Davis is finally getting a clue. He signs people on a whim and he cuts them on a whim. As long as he's running things the organization will continue to be a mess.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Yeah. They didn't overlap. I didn't think that through too much.. still. I also had it a bit wrong about Davis being an idiot for giving Hall his contract. Atlanta did. Davis was the idiot who traded for him and the contract.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If Jerry can snap him up for the league minimum, why not? Little ventured for little risk. That's why I was OK with the Pacman deal. (I just didn't count on Newman and Williams getting hurt and Watkins sucking harder than Williams.)

Draft saved Draft deleted