1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AL Cy Young

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Hank_Scorpio, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Strictly from the closer perspective, I don't understand how you vote for Jose Valverde over Mariano Rivera.

2. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

The NHL does this and except for moving it from Toronto to Vegas and picking Jay Mohr to host they've done it well.

3. How many votes did Daniel Nava get for Cy Young?

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm assuming they voted purely on saves and save percentage. Didn't Valverde convert all of his save chances this season?

5. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Yes on Valverde 49-for-49. ERAs were also close, 1.88 (Rivera) to 2.24 (Valverde). (that may not be Rivera's exact ERA, but it's close).

6. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

He killed Valverde in WHIP also.

7. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

I think Posnanski has ballot this year, and he's written laudatory articles about Jeter in the past. So there's one potential vote for Jetes. I don't think he'll win because voters expect that he probably has a few more MVP-type seasons left in him.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Pos is voting for Paterno this year.

9. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

Yep, he sold his soul to JoePa.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Proof of why y'all should not feed the sock puppet.

11. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

C'mon dude you know you missed me! Half of your posts have been comments about me.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

The way awards are currently announced is brilliant, actually. One of the best PR moves MLB has made.

Yesterday we're talking about all day about Hellickson/Trumbo/Hosmer, today we're talking all day about Verlander, tomorrow we're talking all day about Kirk Gibson, etc. Spread it around and keep baseball in the news.

Draft saved Draft deleted