1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AL Cy Young?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Shaggy, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

I've seen Verlander pitch all season, and he's been great ... but there's no question it is Greinke.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

My bad. I forgot that he pitched today. His ERA is still more than a run higher than Greinke's at 3.38, but he does have 15 wins and 215 strikeouts (I had it at 14 and 211 above).

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Seemed like a decent argument I heard on the radio tonight: Greinke's pitching on a last-place team under no pressure to win, whereas as Sabbathia and Verlander are pitching for first-place teams in pennant races. Should that matter?

Of course, Greinke faces a different kind of pressure each time out: knowing that if he gives up three runs, he's likely gonna lose.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I think that last bit answers your own question. Greinke knows he's not going to get much help, so he can't let up even a little bit. Also, part of the reason that team is so bad is the defense behind him.

Sabathia and Verlander are already getting credit for playing for better teams. It shows up in their win totals.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Not only that, but Sabathia knows how to win. [/joe morgan]

6. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

On the other hand, Greinke has nothing to pitch for. He was at his best in April and May when Kansas City was actually on top in the standings. Greinke is (probably) no different than any other pitcher in that he wants to win. Not just himself, but the team. If Kansas City was contending, it's possible his numbers would be even better.

Of course, they could be worse. No way of knowing. It's certainly not his fault the Royals suck any more than Verlander or Sabathia deserve all the praise for their teams contending.

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Part of the argument was that Greinke might not be able to pitch in a pressure-packed environment given his well-known struggles. Of course, that's just speculation. I happen to think it's a valid concern if it ever comes about, but it shouldn't affect the CY voting because it's just a what if scenario.

8. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Greinke can definitely win, despite his record and thecteam he pitches for. I thing Greinke's 09 is similar to Lincecum's 08. He won quite handily.

The voters aren't as shallow as some of you think. One of them is sleeping with my wife :)

9. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Greinke now leads the AL in ERA, ERA+, shutouts, complete games, WHIP, HRs/9 and is second in strikeouts and Ks/BB. It's not close.

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Why are you posting on here and not beating his ass right now?!? :D

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Great, great week. At this point, the question shouldn't be, Can Greinke win the Cy Young? It should be, Why shouldn't he?

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Because he doesn't play for a winning team?

Draft saved Draft deleted