1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AL Cy Young?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Shaggy, Aug 26, 2009.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

It's not a story to me Xan because of the margin.
    Despite what some people around here think, BBWAA guys get it right most of the time ... and I mean like 90% of the time.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Thing is, we have these subjective awards. Is there a reason there shouldn't be some kind of story quoting the voters?

posting after spnited's response: They probably do get it right most of the time. I just want to hear what they have to say and why they voted like they did.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Good for Greinke. I worried the one positive thing to take from the Royals' season wouldn't be rewarded with a Cy Young, though the more I read from the voters late, the more I thought he would win going away. Glad to see he got the recognition in a landslide.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

That's reasonable Xan. I just donlt think there's much interesting to be said when 25 of 28 voted for Greinke first and the other 3 had him second.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

The writers got it right, as I expected they would.

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

great job by voters, who mosly get it right. bad job by many here who worried they wouldn't. :mad:

7. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

If you go many pages back up in this thread and look for my posts, you can see one voter's opinion. I voted

1. Greinke
    2. Felix
    3. Verlander

Greinke was a slam dunk to me because he led in ERA and opponents OBP (which are two of the three biggies, to me, in evaluating how effective a pitcher is at the fundamentals of his job, getting outs and preventing runs).

Hernandez was pretty much second in both those categories among the contenders.

I don't remember why I picked Verlander over Sabathia or Halladay for third, but I suspect it was the same sort of reasoning. I also noted that Sabathia got some extra wins because the bullpen blew zero of his victories, which is better than average. (We seem to want to give pitchers credit when their bullpen fails them, but not dock them when their bullpen helps them more than expected.)

Draft saved Draft deleted