1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AL Cy Young

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by buckweaver, Sep 8, 2007.

?

Who will win the AL Cy Young this year?

1. Erik Bedard (BAL)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Josh Beckett (BOS)

15 vote(s)
    42.9%
  3. John Lackey (LAA)

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  4. Dan Haren (OAK)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Johan Santana (MIN)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Kelvim Escobar (LAA)

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  7. C.C. Sabathia (CLE)

14 vote(s)
    40.0%
  8. Justin Verlander (DET)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Chien-Ming Wang (NYY)

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  10. Other

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  1. loveyabye

loveyabye Guest

I think the stat that stands out with Sabathia is that he had 10 straight starts from July 24 to Sept. 8 where he gave up two earned runs or less. He got four wins out of those because the first half of that streak was when the Indians were in their biggest slump.

I wonder if Sabathia is less concerned if he will win the Cy and more concerned that Joe Borowski will ruin his shot at the World Series.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Agreed...and that was the point I was about to make. I disagree with buckdub on this one because I put more weight on different categories than he does.

I do think it is unfair to compare this to Colon over Santana. Santana was a clear choice in every category but victories that year. The difference may be very small, but Beckett does have a lower ERA and WHIP than Sabathia as well as a better record.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Agreed. Colon over Santana was a total screwjob based solely on wins.

A solid case can be made for Beckett regardless of wins.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Upon further review... if I were a voter I'd do a lot of research on these two becuase they are so close:

In Sabathia's 8 NDs, he pitched 7 or more innings 6 times (5 and 6 in the other 2), allowed 2 runs or fewer 6 times (4 and 5 in the other 2), left with the game tied 5 times (Indians were 2-3 in those games), with the lead once (pen blew it) and trailing twice (Indians rallied to win both).
    Included was a nine-inning shutout of the Reds that the Tribe lost 1-0 in 12.

One of Beckett's 3 NDs was when he left after 4 innings with the blister. The others were:
    7 IP, 1 ER, left trailing 2-1, red sox went ahead then GAGne lost it in 9th... and 6 1/3 IP, 4 runs, left with a lead, Papelbon blew it in 9th to Yankees.

So Sabathia just got a little closer in my book, but I still think Beckett has a very slight edge... and the loser is not getting screwed here.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Nice research, spnited.

Thanks.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

A fun way to kill time

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

What strikes me out of all of that -- not apropos of the horse race, but whatever -- is that's a very high percentage of decisions for Beckett.

Only three ND's in almost 30 starts? Damn.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Agreed Zeke, and one of the NDs was because of the blister/torn skin that landed him on the DL

9. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Look at Tim Wakefield. I think he broke some kind of record for games to begin a season with decisions.

He's had a decision in 28 of 30 games.

Draft saved Draft deleted