1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AL Cy Young

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by buckweaver, Sep 8, 2007.

?

Who will win the AL Cy Young this year?

1. Erik Bedard (BAL)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Josh Beckett (BOS)

15 vote(s)
    42.9%
  3. John Lackey (LAA)

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  4. Dan Haren (OAK)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Johan Santana (MIN)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Kelvim Escobar (LAA)

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  7. C.C. Sabathia (CLE)

14 vote(s)
    40.0%
  8. Justin Verlander (DET)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Chien-Ming Wang (NYY)

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  10. Other

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Help me out, would you?

The Bert Bandwagon is large, and growing. Viva la Bert!

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

I voted for Beckett because he deserve to win.
    I don't see where Sabathia was superior in so many ways except wins. And you guys seem to be putting an awful lot of stock in innings pitched. True, Beckett missed a few starts, but ...

Beckett averaged 6 2/3 IP/start; Sabathia averaged 7 IP/start
    Beckett averaged 8.7k/9 IP; Sabathia averaged 7.8 K/9 IP
    Beckett has marginally (ok, insignificant) edge in ERA and WHIP.
    Beckett also had 26 decisions in 29 starts (very high ratio) to CC's 25 decs. in 33 starts.

More wins, fewer losses (in more decisions), better ERA and WHIP, better k/9 IP.
    Beckett is the winner.

Sabathia has a strong case but if Beckett wins there is no way to say Sabathia got screwed.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

spnited --

I don't disagree with that. I don't disagree with buckdub, either. I don't think either of us really thinks either one of those two can get screwed here.

There is certainly merit to your point that it appears, at least from the numbers, that Sabathia got taken off the hook a few times.

There's also merit to the argument that Sabathia was more durable.

Both are probably deserving. I do think Beckett will win, and I won't have a problem with that.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

I don't know, Zeke....seems Buck thinks Sabathia has outpitched Beckett in every way... which he has not.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Well, I'll let buckdub speak for himself, but I think that depends on what weight you give to each number.

Clearly, you're placing more weight on K/9 innings and he's placing more on total K's...

The beauty of baseball, methinks.

6. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I'd have to look, but I think the fact that Sabathia has fewer decisions per start is because of the bullpen blowing wins for him, not the team picking him up in would-be losses.

That said, Fausto for President!! er, Cy Young :)

7. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

I'm biased, but I have seen about 95% of Sox games this season. And Beckett's been the only consistant pitcher of the bunch...the only poor game I remember him pitching was earlier in the summer against the Rockies.

Without him, one could argue the Sox wouldn't even be in the playoffs. He's been that important at the front of the rotation, especially since Dice-K ran out of gas late this season, Schilling missed almost two months, and Wakefield's been mediocre-to-terrible after a superb April and May.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Add in a game against the Yankees in April, one against the Rangers in June and one against the Orioles in July. Those are the games where he gave up five or six runs this season. So four there.

Sabathia, meanwhile, has six such games with the last coming in mid-July.

9. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Thing is, without any of these guys, their teams wouldn't be in the playoffs.
    Carmona's been good, but C.C. had to stop losing streak after losing streak when the Indians were trying to get the back of the rotation figured on. No C.C. (or Carmona) and no playoffs for the Tribe.

10. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Judging by earned runs, Beckett's had three games with 5 or more runs with the last coming on July 31. Two of those came in his poor June.

As you mentioned, Sabathia's had six games (twice as many as Beckett) of 5 or more earned runs with the last coming on July 14.

Both have been very good. But with Carmona and Sabathia both aces, this will most likely turn into what happened in 2002 with Barry Zito grabbing the Cy Young (not saying he didn't deserve it) because Pedro and Lowe basically cancelled each other despite each having good arguments for deserving the award.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

No one likes Wang?

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

How long have you been saving that one?

Draft saved Draft deleted