1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AL Cy Young

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by buckweaver, Sep 8, 2007.

?

Who will win the AL Cy Young this year?

1. Erik Bedard (BAL)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Josh Beckett (BOS)

15 vote(s)
    42.9%
  3. John Lackey (LAA)

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  4. Dan Haren (OAK)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Johan Santana (MIN)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Kelvim Escobar (LAA)

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  7. C.C. Sabathia (CLE)

14 vote(s)
    40.0%
  8. Justin Verlander (DET)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Chien-Ming Wang (NYY)

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  10. Other

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

This one is too close to call, but Bedard might be a lock if he weren't injured. Still leads the league in Ks, WHIP and BAA, despite not pitching since Aug. 26.

I think Santana has a good shot, with a strong September, and Beckett and Lackey will get major consideration.

2. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I'm just going to go the complete homer route and pick CC. Also, Fausto deserves to be on this list!

3. amraeder

Yeah, I'm a huge Fausto fan, but it's hard to argue he deserves it more than C.C. just on his own team.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

At first, I was going to choose Beckett. Then I clicked on, believe it or not, Escobar (with his low ERA, 16 wins and 150 strikeouts -- and only nine home runs allowed), but I settled for C.C. Sabathia: He's 4-1 against the Twins, 2-0 against the White Sox, 2-1 against the Tigers and ... whoops ... 1-2 against the Royals. He'll probably end up with 19 wins, 200-plus strikeouts and a sub-3.20 ERA.

If Santana wins out and is just incredible, he may sway my vote, but I don't think it's likely. Not with the way the Indians are going.

And I'm fairly sure Bedard will not pitch again this season, taking him almost out of consideration.

5. amraeder

He's a yougin' though. I can see him being close to a CYA in a year or two.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

We shall see. Said the same about Dontrelle, too, and he's fallen off the face of the earth.

7. amraeder

Very true. I figure if his sinker is good enough to make Hunter feel like he's hitting with a hangover, that's a pretty good sign.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

It's not known yet. But speculation says he is. He's got a strained right oblique muscle, and it'll probably be an upper-management call. Do the Orioles want to throw their injured, young ace out for the last three weeks of a dreadful season?

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'll be laughing about that for many more minutes. "This guy here is dead."

10. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Exactly. Fausto was just horrible last year. Granted, he was coming out of the pen, but still needs to prove it again next year.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Why isn't Joba Chamberlain on this list? He's only the greatest pitcher baseball's seen in 100 years.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Because if you put Chamberlain on the list, someone will bitch because Bannister's not.

Duh.

Draft saved Draft deleted