1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AL Cy Young .. whaddya think?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Sep 13, 2008.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Have you even compared their stats and how they were used? Marshall pitched 200+ innings!

2. casty33

casty33 Active Member

TSP has it right, Marshall never was used as a one-inning guy. He pitched many more innings than today's relievers. It's also impossible to compare results from different years. The voters were different then. Maybe I wouldn't have voted for Marshall. I haven't studied the season to know that, I'm just saying that different years can often cause different voting patterns.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

Casty, I see your point. TSP, it was a different era for relievers back then. I like Lee but I'm a sucker for a strong reliever. I like K-Rod.

4. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Drip, where do you think K-Rod fits in AL MVP voting. Scioscia has been quoted as saying he was the most important (valuable) Angel this season.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

Mike Scioscia knows the game and I respect his opinion. The Angels would not be in their present position if not for K-Rod. MVP, definitely among the top three. Cy Young, I know he won't win, but I think he gets a top three finish there too. Rolaids Award, he wins unanimously.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

K-Rod isn't in the top three AL closers, let alone top three in the AL MVP voting.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

There's no way Rodriguez is one of the top three AL MVP contenders.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Rivera, Nathan, K-Rod ... who else you got?
    Soria? Not yet.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Soria = 1.74 ERA, 0.85 WHIP 62 K and 15 BB in 62 IP. 36 saves in 39 chances. .923 save percentage.

Rodriguez = 2.42, 1.26 WHIP, 72K and 31 BB in 63.33 IP. 57 saves in 63 chances. .904 save percentage.

Soria's been the better closer this season. K-Rod just pitches for a better team.

K-Rod gets the saves record, and good for him. He's had an awesome season.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

One season does not put Soria in the top 3. Let me see him do again and again and again.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

If we're talking about careers, I agree with you.

But when you're talking about consideration for this season's awards, Soria's had a better season.

Unless you only look at saves. Which would be silly.

If you're talking about an entire career for guys still active, Rivera's on a rung by himself, followed by Nathan on a rung by himself, followed by a third rung with K-Rod and maybe Papelbon.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

But the award is for a season and it's hard to ignore what K-Rod has done.

Draft saved Draft deleted