1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Al Campanis: 20 years later

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Apr 6, 2007.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Oh...so insulting the intelligence of an entire race isn't offensive to you? Since it is a physical, natural ability, right?

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I know that if someone said that whites don't have the capability to play starting CB in the NFL, you wouldn't say a fucking word.

Yes, I know it.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Again...and I will try to keep the words as small as possible for you....the fact that there are double-standards in place when it comes to race does not excuse racist statements like the ones Campanis made.

Play the semantics game all you want. His comments were foolish and inexcusable. He deserved to be fired, if not for racism, than for being dumb enough to say something like that on TV.

4. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Mr Cowbell,

Alan Wells and Valeri Borzov would have been bears on the corner. The Greek guy might be able to make the jump if he didn't keep falling off his motorcycle. And that Chinese hurdler, maybe he could play corner (if he gave up smoking).

I wonder if fleet white guys in the US end up at receiver more often than corner -- a few fast ones have come down the pike.

I know -- white guys can't jump (if you leave out eastern Europe).

You make something racial -- when in fact you completely lack a global context. To wit: Serbs, Croats, etc can't play corner in the NFL because there aren't any. By your reckoning balcks can't play baseball either because their numbers are declining in MLB -- which is of course absurd.

Not just that you're so wrong on marathons. That one was easy.

YHS, etc

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I wasn't wrong about marathons, or about cornerbacks.

Taking examples from 1984, where athletes and their times are couch-potato-caliber compared with today, is ridiculous.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Yes, indeed, Mr. Cowshit, athletes and their times in 1984 were couch-potato-caliber compared with today... 1984 athletes like Carl Lewis!

7. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Mr Cowbell,

The Italian Baldini won in the Olympic marathon in the heat 2004 -- Portugal's Lopes won the hottest of marathons in '84. Bordin the Italian in 88. African runners shut out of medals in 76, 80, 84 and 92 (Korea, Japan and Germany). Even at altitude (where there are definitely advantages for those born at altitude, though I suppose Sherpas will never get enough hills) in Mexico, where Africans should have had a greater advantage (than in the heat) Japan took silver and New Zealand bronze.

Yet Kenya has owned the often cold Boston in this generation.

You could presume that Kenya does better in the cold than the heat--the fact is it has adverse effect on the field. Altitude might be a different story, but we won't know because after 1968 a major event won't be held at altitude.

Back to you, Mr Campanis.

YHS, etc

Draft saved Draft deleted