1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AL and NL MVPs

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 24, 2014.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Lucroy is way, way better in the clutch.

RISP, 2 OUTS
    Gomez .238/.324/.302 (.626 OPS)
    Lucroy .319/.418/.447 (.865 OPS)

LATE & CLOSE
    Gomez .236/.286/.361 (.647 OPS)
    Lucroy .328/.444/.642 (1.086 OPS)

No question about who the Brewers' MVP is if you go that route.

But I don't know how Dino Laurenzi feels about Ragin' Cajuns and whether he is setting his trap right now.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Close, but Gomez is better. Comparable hitters until you get to speed, where Gomez has a huge edge.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Fister and Roark have been better than expected, but neither is the best pitcher in the league let alone the MVP. No one is having a monster year but they have a lot of guys having very good years. Their pitching has been consistently good (save for the two guys who are supposed to be their best starters) and the offense is to the point where there's no real hole.

The league MVP is not on the Nationals' roster. Desmond may have 25 HR and 100 RBI when it is done and he's a damn good shortstop, but I sure as hell can't argue for him for MVP.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Zoilo Versailles on park 1.

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

His steal percentage of 75% is not nearly good enough for a speed guy. And that's not even taking into account the other bone-head baserunning mistakes he makes. He has the tools to be great, but he is not anywhere near there yet, and he's not anywhere near an MVP yet.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Versailles was a deserving MVP. The Twins took an interesting route to their first World Series. Killebrew dislocated his elbow in 1965 and as a 25-year-old Zorro led the AL with a 5.3 WAR. He was also first in doubles, triples and third in stolen bases as well as an outstanding defender at shortstop.

7. outofplace

More deserving than Lucroy, but I don't think either one gets it. I understand where you are coming from as a fan of the team. Gomez is the guy who seems like he can do more. Lucroy seems to be maxing out his ability, making him easier to root for. Doesn't make him a more deserving MVP candidate.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

If someone is maxing out his ability -- like Lucroy -- with numbers to back it up, not to mention the work he's doing behind the plate for his pitchers, it stands to reason that someone would be worthy of the MVP.

9. outofplace

Not more worthy than Gomez. Or Stanton. Or McCutchen. Just to name a few.

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

No argument on Stanton or McCutchen, but I seriously think you're over rating Gomez, who also has a penchant for giving up extra bases by airmailing throws to home with no regard to the cutoff man. The boneheaded misplay tally for this season would be something like: Gomez 34, Lucroy 0.

11. outofplace

I think you are overrating Lucroy, which I can absolutely understand a Brewers fan doing.

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I'm no Brewers fan, oop, but I think you're dismissing Lucroy pretty quickly. The guy has had a monster season. He's just not a household name.

Draft saved Draft deleted