1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AJR looks at Charlotte, past and present, and the future of newspapers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Johnny Dangerously, Mar 28, 2007.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

http://ajr.org/Article.asp?id=4305

Young journalists at the Charlotte Observer love their jobs. They value what papers do but find them often dull, out of touch and sluggish. They have passion for their craft but are positioning themselves for a future that may leave newspapers behind.

By Carl Sessions Stepp

The subject matter is not unfamiliar, but it's still a good read.

2. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I feel those kids pain. Our Web site doesn't even have pictures for freaking crying out loud, let along blogs or anything multimedia. We're just on the modern side of chiseling our paper into cave walls.

3. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

Yep, hard not to empathize. They have passion for their jobs but know they're becoming irrelevant. They can intuitively feel the clock ticking and know that it's not likely that the old guard will retire or drop dead before they can save their jobs/industry.

4. Editude

Editude Active Member

Being in the middle range I can see the conundrum from both sides. Maybe the smaller places, in more isolated areas, will fare best in the short term. But I think the Charlottes of our business will be OK.

Draft saved Draft deleted