1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AJC's Sunday use of Obama's name.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Hammer Pants, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I just saw a Sunday copy of the AJC, and the the top of A1 stunned me. It was a teaser with Obama's picture, and the words next to the pic said "BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA." McCain was simply referred to as "JOHN MCCAIN" in the same tease.

Why do that? Surely someone else has seen this and wondered the same thing, right?

EDIT: I had an extra 'R' in Obama's name, and I wanted to correct it before some smartass like Doc could.

2. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Because it sounds like there's at least a remote chance Obama is the anti-christ.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

This is a classic example of the AJC wanting to make the journalism topics only thread on this board.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Because Sidney Moncrief wrote them a cease-and-desist letter?

5. Is the AJC known for being a right-leaning paper?

I find it stunning how often the Rush Limbaughs and so forth of the world like to use his middle name for political ends. How can some of these people look themselves in the mirror?

6. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Unbelievable.

I am going to start a thread highlighting John McCain's middle name of "Sidney" which could mean he is a drug-addicted punk-rocker who will stab his girlfriend to death and then die of an overdose.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Hardly.

8. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

Hardly is an understatement, not with Cynthia Tucker gracing/dominating the opinion page.
    For the AJC to do that is not a reflection of its philosophy in the least bit. It's a rather startling slip on their part.

9. bp6316

bp6316 Member

It absolutely drives me nuts how Fox News always does that too. And all the stories on the foxnews.com site shortcut his name as BHO (though this seems to have been slowed down recently). Absolutely maddening.

I like the idea of now calling John McCain "John Sidney McCain" or JSM.

10. It's actually John Sidney McCain III.
    Who is the elitist now?

11. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Good line. I like it on the other three threads you've used it on.

Very clever.

12. I've used it one other time.

Draft saved Draft deleted