1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AJC to Eastwood: Go ahead, make a disclaimer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Dec 10, 2019.

1. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Could have went with "Dick Jewell," but that would have suggested a different kind of movie. Still though, it would have been a hell of a double feature with "Uncut Gems."

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I also wonder if the average movie-goer A) Doesn't know who Jewell was and B) Feels bad because when the reports first aired, they too thought - "yep, he did it" and don't want to accept their own culpability or go through those feelings again and pay $10 to do so.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  3. sgreenwell

Speaking for myself here, but the only movies I see in a theater now are Star Wars, Avengers-level affairs that seem like they'd be fun with an audience. Richard Jewell would be something I'd wait for streaming or Redbox on (except that I don't really have much interest at all if they're fabricating that a reporter slept with a source).

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

"Sullied"

Liut and playthrough like this.
  5. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Letters from Iwo Jima is probably a top 30 movie for me. Wish Eastwood was making stuff like that. I never saw its sister movie Flags of our Fathers after I was put off by that author’s other work, namely Flyboys.

6. DanOregon

I remember thinking Unforgiven was his "victory lap" a final triumph to cap off a tremendous career. Since then: A Perfect World, Space Cowboys, Mystic River, Million Dollar Baby, Flags of Our Father, Letter from Iwo Jima, Invictus, Gran Torino, American Sniper, Sully, In the Line of Fire, among others. I'd argue he's had a better career since Unforgiven than before.

sgreenwell likes this.
  7. sgreenwell

Eastwood and Affleck are probably the two leading contenders for "directing career surprisingly might surpass acting career."

8. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Affleck for sure. Eastwood is yet to be determined.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Absence of Malice was fiction but they turned Sally Field into the slut of all time for immediately jumping into the sack with a mob-connected guy who was under and investigation, albeit it a bit bogus. There also was the implication early in the movie that she had been banging the FBI agent. Then her co-worker at the newspaper (the blonde) was filmed getting info on the phone from a cop on a shark bite incident, and ended the conversation, "can't do dinner, maybe lunch."
    That movie was an incredible disservice to female reporters. Sally Field, who played sympathetic feminist characters in the past such as Norma Rae, should have been ashamed of herself.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
  10. DanOregon

And lets not forget All The Presidents Men when Sally Aiken gets the CREEP list.

heyabbott likes this.
  11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Norma Rae.

Norma Jean was blonde --- and did hop from bed to bed. o_O

Liut likes this.
  12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Fixed.

Draft saved Draft deleted