1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AJC to Eastwood: Go ahead, make a disclaimer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Dec 10, 2019.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

No scooter parking in those aisles

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

By ignoring the real sociopath and focusing on the chubby white guy who was wrongly accused but freed before he went to trial, was convicted and executed.

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

It’s a fascinating story — I was near (but not in) Centennial Park that night so I’ve always taken an interest in how this played out and will definitely see the movie when it is on cable or streams. Given Eastwood’s politics, a “don’t trust the media and the FBI” message is bound to be polarizing, which is a shame because he’s a really good storyteller.

JimmyHoward33 likes this.
  4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

So you’re saying the movie ...

bombed?

poindexter and OscarMadison like this.
  5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Really feel bad for the guy playing Jewell - you get a call from Eastwood casting you in a title role after doing a handful of character parts (though he was in BlackKKlansman and I Tonya)....seems like just getting the role helped him though - he'd already done another Spike Lee film and a live action 101 Dalmatians bit.

6. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I got out of the Navy and started college in '94. I think I'd just seen the movie Blown Away where Tommy Lee Jones was an IRA bomber in the U.S. I had a class assignment where I fleshed out short story about a guy bombing U.S. government buildings in the southeast. Then Timothy McVeigh and Eric Rudolph came along. I decided to toss the story idea so no one thought it was some sort of nut job manifesto instead of just something for a writing class.

Batman and Liut like this.
  7. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I wonder if there's a kind of "fatigue" with his kind of movies at this point. He's churning out about one a year now. Then again, "Sully" and "American Sniper" were in 2014 and 2016, so it's not like they're in the distant past.

8. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Just happened to watch Absence of Malice last night.

I cannot really explain it but, from what I've read here and elsewhere, there seems to be some sort of odd similarities i.e. the plots ... journalism conflicts and set-up of reporters.

Having stated that, I realize Absence of Malice is fiction and I have not seen any proof the late Kathy Scruggs did anything wrong doing her job. EDIT: Upon further review, sounds like Richard Jewell is too, at least in certain aspects.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
    Smallpotatoes likes this.
  9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Just change the name.

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

My wife was walking on the sidewalk a block down the street when Eric Rudolph's bomb blew at the Birmingham abortion clinic. A few minutes different timing and she might have been a casualty.

SMH. What a world.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

It struck me as a clunky name for a movie. Probably unlucky that he didn't have an easy nickname like "Sully."

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, I meant Clint could/ should have changed the name of "Kathy Scruggs" to "Katie Schmugh" or some such, made it an expressly fictional character.

Draft saved Draft deleted