1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AJC section changes/staffing cuts - INTERESTING UPDATE 8/26

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Nola4520, Jul 16, 2008.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

This may have been covered, but I heard that some AJC editors were canned for leaking future plans. Including a redesign of the paper and some major changes in what and how they cover things.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I have friends there who say things are just about as bad as it can get.

3. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

The number of metro papers I aspire to work for continues to shrink by the day. It's a sad state of affairs.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Some of this was covered above and some of it led to the locking. I unlocked it for conversation about the latest change.

5. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Congratulations to Steve on the move.

Sounds like things are pretty discombobulated at the AJC.

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Like Barsuk, it makes me sad as well.
    A job at the AJC to me a few years back would have been like winning the lottery.
    Makes me really wonder how jobs will be viewed in the future. Will the more mid-size papers, where you have some more stability, be viewed as the better job. As opposed to the larger circulation prestige papers where you no longer have that stability.

7. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Aw, they'll get that stability back. But by then, a lot of them will seem like mid-size papers, because they'll be heavily covering preps and colleges and (grudgingly) whatever pro beats exist in their particular market. I'm guessing there will be continued travel cutbacks, too -- y'know, skipping random single-game trips in NBA/NHL, maybe stringing a few MLB series where there is an available and reliable stringer and the airfares are pricey. (Think NFL travel is safe because of the sport's massive popularity and the once-a-week road schedule).

So Triple-A markets will feel like Double-A, and big league markets (except for the national papers) will feel like Triple-A. Eventually, though, they will have run off enough people that they actually will replace the next person who leaves.

Unless, of course, the entire paper in that given market goes under first.

8. Editude

Editude Active Member

I've always used the baseball minors-to-major analogy as well, and while I'm glad to play for a perennial playoff contender, I would regret the phasing out of solid Double-A departments as I make my inevitable (and looked-forward-to) way back down.

9. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Wyche is good people. Did well in some TV work during the NFL draft this spring.

Draft saved Draft deleted