1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AJC circ drops 24.7 percent MORE, quality of sports section drops 2,470 percent

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by adamjames, Apr 27, 2010.

1. adamjames

adamjames New Member

Saw this buried in a story on the bottom of page A8. I'd love to know what their circulation was a few years ago. This just covers the past six months so no excuses about no longer delivering to certain counties, like the past few times they've announced their readership has plummeted.

"Daily circulation of the AJC dropped 24.7 percent, to 195,582; Sunday circulation was down 13.9 percent, to 397,925."

Under 200K? Wow. I will say this: It reads like a 50K sports section these days. Gamers, notebooks, columns and a whole bunch of wire. They actually has 6 mostly open pages today (other than the strip ad on the front), which makes it one of the bigger weekday sections they've had. I think the centerpiece is the Hawks. I say "I think" because the photo is 2 columns, the same size as the other one on the page, to go with a prep baseball feature.

They had a stringer at UGA-Georgia Tech baseball game (in Atlanta). Another stringer wrote what they call the "cover story" (on the topic everyone's talking about in Atlanta — Kennesaw State lacrosse). Another stringer wrote the prep soccer previews.

Talladega wire centerpiece yesterday. Also a wire story on the cover on a local guy winning a PGA event.

No way any section has fallen harder than this one. The rest of the paper's about the same it's been as far as staff byline counts and space. Sports clearly just doesn't matter to them anymore. It's sad.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Wow. What's the population of Atlanta?

That paper used to be ridiculous in how far-ranging its coverage was.

3. apseloser

apseloser Member

Re: AJC circ drops 24.7 percent MORE, quality of sports section drops 2,470 perc

You're so wrong, son of Craig James.

There is no 50K sports section I know of that's as bad as the AJC most weekdays. (At least on Sundays, they let Steve Hummer write.)

If you think I'm exaggerating, pick it up on your next layover at Hartsfield.

Hard to believe that this is the same section I judged 3 years ago, when it won the Triple frickin Crown:

http://apse.dallasnews.com/contest/2006/sections/sections.over250.html

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

If it still says "Covers Dixie Like The Dew" across the top, some higher-up needs to be arrested for fraud.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Amazing, isn't it? Sickening if you remember the work that section did for the 1996 Olympics. Another case of why maybe newspapers deserve to die. You can't try and cheat your customers and prosper, and you shouldn't.

6. Babs

Babs Member

About 5.5 million.

It's no coincidence that Atlanta is one of the most wired cities in the US and its major metro paper is basically dead. There's a lot of options on where to get news, and they aren't picking the AJC. Sure, the paper's online numbers are probably higher than some other papers', but not enough to save this sinking ship.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Most papers have made colossal drops in quality and circulation in the last 4-5 years.

I would argue the AJC has dropped the most.

8. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Maybe it's time for the AJC to kill the weekly print editions, print only on in-depth Sunday pieces and focus on the Web.

Losing a quarter of your readership in one of America's largest cities is terrible.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Not too long ago, I would have argued that the AJC was one of the top five sports sections in the country and probably offered the best college coverage of any paper in the country.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Really? I would never have guessed that high. If that's true, wow on the daily going below 200.

I think I posted this last year - I was there with my son for the first weekend of the baseball season. I think Friday (or maybe Saturday) had four pages. Four?

Sad. Yes, it used to be one of the standard bearers.

11. Dave Kindred

Dave Kindred Member

I passed through Hartsfield today...saw the AJC in a box...damn, the once proud newspaper has been miniaturized, from page width to a mushed-up masthead....couldn't bring myself to put a dollar, or whatever, in the box....walked on.....someone should check the statue of Henry Grady on Marietta, there must be tear stains on the bronze....

12. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Agree on all the comments. Damn, has this section... and the entire paper... gone south (no pun intended) in a hurry.

Draft saved Draft deleted