1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AJC: Cheating rampant in Atlanta public schools

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Jul 6, 2011.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

The governor's investigative report was released Tuesday. Yeesh.

http://www.ajc.com/news/investigation-into-aps-cheating-1001375.html

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

May be some teaching jobs opening up in the ATL

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If you can't teach to the test, cheat to the test.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yeah, but my mom/wife/brother/friend is a teacher and he/she is a good person. He/she is a good and dedicated teacher and tries really hard. He/she even dips into their own pocket to purchase school supplies.

Therefore, every teacher is good and there can't be any problems with public schools anywhere.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This would be like finding out Kentucky football was cheating all these years to finish ninth in the SEC.

6. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

An Atlanta public official tradition: Arrive on the scene, cut corruption, do good works, earn accolades, buddy up to corruption, leave in disgrace so someone else can arrive on the scene, cut corruption...

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Or there's the other generalized stereotype: "All teachers are lazy and all they want to do is mooch off the public teet and coast through with entire summers off where they do jack shit."

Of course, what I said is just as true as your point. Being related to a bunch of educators, none of them are all that happy with the status quo either. But they're also against the increased use of standardized testing. It's not the cure-all there, but that's not to say those who care don't think everything is hunky dory either.

I still maintain the biggest contributor to any failure in the education system is that child's parents. That's not to say that's the case every time, but at least many times.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Those who can't, teach.

(Too soon? ... and in complete sarcasm as I consider at least two teachers very good friends of mine ... )

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

In high school, during the SAT exam, a kid sitting behind me was asking me for answers.

Me: Dude. They're all different tests.
    Him: Huh?
    Me: Numbers 1-10 are all A.
    Him: Thanks, bro!

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Correct. Superintendents, principals and teachers are under pressure to keep childrem matriculating through the system. But how much is reasonable and how many barely-literate children are being moved up?

The couple of educator friends I have are shaking their heads.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

True. This was a push from the administrators on up trying to gild their lilies.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's mean. You should have told him C. I hear that's the default answer.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted