1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AJC and Hartford Courant not covering Super Bowl

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Jan 27, 2009.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I'd say nothing surprises me in the current climate -- but this certainly surprises me.

2. that really sums it up perfectly

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Over the last few years there have been similar things like papers not covering the Masters and the Final Fours, but this is the most stunning I've heard.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Devil's Advocate, again, but does anyone know the AJC's deadlines? I think we all know the Super Bowl is not a speedy game. Is it worth sending someone down there for a Super Bowl that will be more than adequately covered by the AP to end up getting Web-only coverage anyway?

5. Mizzougrad96

It doesn't seem to bother every other eastern newspaper that is still covering the game.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Well, not every newspaper on the East Coast did that fucked up reorg that the AJC did a couple years ago.

And not all papers have the same deadline. In Richmond, our final deadline was 11:30.

7. Yep. We have two writers and a columnist there.

8. I'd be surprised if anyone from the Indy Star is there.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Bob Kravitz said on his radio show that he wouldn't be going, first SB in 20 years he has missed.

Yet his radio sidekick is being sent down to Tampa for the radio row silliness.

10. Furry Tractor

Furry Tractor Member

Kickoff is at 6:28 p.m. ET. Even with the extra commercials and twice-as-long halftime, I imagine they'd be fine. Deadline-wise, this is a whole different animal than the BCS title game or the World Series, just to name two.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

A travesty. May as well be a suburban shopper.

12. Mizzougrad96

If you go to the Indy Star website, you would be hard-pressed to find a single Super Bowl article written this week. I'm still betting the beat writer is there, otherwise it would have made the E&P story. Maybe he's going down later in the week.

Draft saved Draft deleted