1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AJ-C traveling with Thrashers on team plane?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by adamjames, Feb 24, 2010.

1. apseloser

apseloser Member

The White House press corps pays to be on Air Force One.

I agree with adam -- you can't travel at a discount on the team's dime.

Of course, different rules apply for many of you when it comes taking the team bus to girls cross country meets. I'm OK with that.

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Yeah, I would have gone with "Alive".

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Whatever they're paying, there's no equivalent commercial service. There's a distinct benefit to being on Air Force One, whatever the cost.

As to your other point, if you think that little of the people here, then there's plenty of other places on the Internet for you. Feel free not to sully our little corner again.

4. John

John Well-Known Member

Speaking of the AJC, it doesn't appear that they had a writer at the Georgia-Florida men's hoops game in Athens today. The story on the AJC Web site is George Henry's AP gamer.

Stunning.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I believe there are publications out there, mine included, that do that for afternoon games, saving the staff story for publication after deadline/5 a.m. in the morning when the paper's getting delivered.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Don't feed that troll.

7. Wings97

Wings97 New Member

I sat next to the AJC reporter at the Nashville game. It seemed to me he wrote his gamer and then called in the post-game comments. Overtime and shootout games have to be a nightmare for any reporter who has to get on the bus to make the charter flight out.

I asked C.V. about flying with the team and he said "it was either change the rule or don't travel." He's been a reporter for a long time, I can't see him turning into a shill overnight.

Numerous NHL teams are facing the problem of road coverage. IIRC LA Times and NY area papers stopped traveling to many road games. LA Kings hired Rich Hammond who is now paid by the team. In most USA markets, the NHL is not the #1 or even #2 sport if you look at local TV ratings. As papers look to cut more costs I would imagine traveling with the team will become the norm and not the exception.

8. John

John Well-Known Member

There's a story by Bill Sanders up now, so they hired a stringer to cover it.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I'm dismayed that there are people that think we can be bought off by a couple of sandwiches from the food-poisoning rack at the Springfield Kwik-E-Mart and a bottle of expired water. If I'm reading the Slusser post correctly, the A's got reimbursed for her travel. If she had flown commercial home, the paper would have reimbursed her. Either way, the paper pays. And while I'm not an A's fan, I know from extensive reading Slusser doesn't take it easy on the A's.

It's like those occasional calls I get when we run only half the golf agate or why there wasn't a full-page preview of Podunk Tech's tennis opener ... some people just like to complain for the sake of complaining!

10. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Water expires?

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Absolutely. Light breaks it down. You've never had stale water?

In fact, water that's been left out for more than about 24 hours can make you seriously ill. I used to know a guy who wouldn't drink any bottled water that had been open longer than that. As long as you put the lid back on, though, it'll be fine.

12. I thought ALL AJC stories were by stringers now. Do they even have ANY staff writers anymore (he asked only HALF-Jokingly)?

Draft saved Draft deleted