1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AJ-C puts out 4-page sports section; no more box scores

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by maconsportsguy, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

I don't give two shits if the pro sports box scores don't appear in the paper. But when I open up to the agate page and it says "Vegas line is not available" -- as it did today -- that's when I get pissed off.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I'd never want to run my agate page without the Vegas line.

But I would consider Vegas line as top priority to be a minority position.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Had that all the time at my first job out of college on Mountain Time. Lots of three-pagers with a no-jump policy. Front, scoreboard/briefs, roundups.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Did the NCAA back off their threat to not issue credentials to papers that ran the betting line on college games?

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

In Decatur, Ala., once when I was working the news desk, I had a regional front ... with no inside space at all. Didn't have to worry about getting the jumps right.

6. KG

KG Active Member

I like how they left an email addy for the readers to respond. Those would be interesting to read. Some of the reasons people already give for canceling subscriptions are entertaining.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

Best reason I've read, I canceled because you suck!

8. doggieseatdoggies

doggieseatdoggies New Member

Value. Hmmm. We're reducing the amount of chips in a bag of Doritos, but we hope you'll find some value in it.
    If you're hungry, you buy food.
    If you want boxscores, you'll go to ESPN now.
    Next move: We'll let AP cover the SEC tournament.
    But we hope you'll find some value.

9. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Looks like the thread title is being a bit generous. Today's meaty section weighed in at 3 1/2 pages.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Good luck with that. Papers have been trying to "attract new readers" for 40 years, and a million ideas have been recycled over and over again. Usually, their efforts serve to run off old readers more than it does to bring in new ones.

11. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

I was in Atlanta over the weekend and picked up the AJC Sunday on my way out of its ever-shrinking circulation area.
    I wanted something to read while I was at lunch. I tore the thing apart looking for the @ issue section, their opinion section, until I discovered it — among the rest of the A section. And only three pages at that.
    It's a shame, but the best days appear to be behind the paper that once covered Dixie like the dew. Now, it barely covers the Perimeter.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Sweet Lord, opinion used to take up three pages on weekdays.

Draft saved Draft deleted