1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AirTran/Southwest merger?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bydesign77, Sep 27, 2010.

1. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Have to wonder if Southwest will add flights in Grand Rapids. If so, there's a reason why the other airline execs are in the bathroom changing their underwear right now.

2. Jim_Carty

Jim_Carty Member

I imagine they'll keep the AirTran flight into Baltimore - since that's a major SW hub. It would be logical to argue they'd also add a flight to MDW, but the folks at GRR have been begging SW to come into their airport for years, and SW has shown no interest. It's an interesting situation.

3. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Southwest being in Charlotte is quite OK with me.

4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Do not like. Hate to see a perfectly good airline like Air Tran ruined. Newer planes, alwways on time, a good experience on board.

Not a fan of Southwest. Any airline where you see people start to queue in line as the arriving airplane hits the tarmac--I don't need that kind of hassle.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

When I fly once or twice a year, I don't mind Southwest. When I'm traveling a ton, I get sick of the cattle call and having to plan my life around getting the 'A' boarding pass.

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

What playthrough said.

CK, I don't know what you're referencing wrt Southwest -- traditionally, they have one of the most modern fleets flying.

And the offspring of ValuJet wasn't ever getting my business.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Does Air Tran still fly to the Everglades?

8. CYowSMR

CYowSMR Member

AirTran in HSV is awesome! $90 one-way to Orlando!

9. Captain_Kirk

Haven't flown them in a good while for reasons I mentioned, but the last couple times I did, they were old planes.

Conversely, whenever I've been on Airtran, it seems to be on a newer Airbus plane.

10. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

Airtran flies 717s and 737s. No Airbuses in the fleet.

11. Captain_Kirk

I stand corrected. Did see on a press release, they tout 'America's youngest all Boeing fleet'.

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

First thing Southwest will do is sell off the 717s.

Draft saved Draft deleted