1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Airport security, just in time for Thanksgiving

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HackyMcHack, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

You must not go through LaGuardia - TSA wants lap tops in separate bin. Just to tweak them I always start out with one.

Last time I flew I had Ray Charles at first check point looking over the documents. Guy looked like he was in his 70's and had trouble seeing the fine print. Took forever.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I've always done laptop in separate bin, carryon bag separate, laptop bag separate, then shoes, purse, baggie with liquids and jacket in the second bin. Takes up space, but that's what they want? That's what they get. I put my purse in my carryon bag if I've got everything out of it I need, otherwise I wait until I get to the gate, dig out my iPod, my headphones and my cell, then put the purse in the carryon bag.

3. McNuggetsMan

McNuggetsMan Active Member

I have one and I travel twice a week, every week and I have never had to pull out the laptop -- the key is to make sure that NOTHING is on the same side as the laptop other than the laptop -- no mice, no wires, nothing. I zip right through without a problem every time.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I travel with a laptop and a sleep machine so I have to use two bins. But as I mentioned before, all my little stuff (phone, keys, change, watch, etc.) goes in my carryon before I get i line.

And I'm shocked they let you put other stuff in the bin with your laptop. I have yet to find an airport that allows that.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The triple-secure zippered pockets on virtually all good laptop bags are ideal for this purchase -
    secure and bulletproof. Slopping a bunch of keys and spare change into a bin is for shit.

6. Then maybe your airport isn't very secure? Every airport I have ever been in makes me take the laptop out and put it in a seperate bin from the bag. Now, I do put everything else from my pockets in the laptop bag front pocket, but jacket has to go in a seperate one, and shoes/belt in the fourth. Look, I don't want to do it that way, TSA always, and I mean always, tells me to.

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

From today's NYT....The Full-Body Backlash.

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/11/15/the-full-body-backlash/

NBC (or msnbc) has been on this all day...showing the details of the full body search, hands on. Very creepy and horrible.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Would love to see a group of strippers show up and go through the scanners naked -- or would they need to??

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

As an editor, I'm compelled to cut extraneous words and distill a sentence to its overall point. 8)

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I would love to see the TSA just go away. They are little more than a PR tool for the airlines anyway to calm jittery passengers. Perhaps when we start cutting the Fed budget we can start with the TSA. Make the airlines responsible. Maybe one wants to offer thrills and no-frills and do without the searches, while another markets safety. The passengers get to choose how safe they want to feel.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I'm calm till I get to the airport and see the TSA.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I do too. I don't care who screens my supple ass.

Draft saved Draft deleted